Medical director stipend

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

AndyDufrane

Member
20+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So am in negotiations with my hospital for medical director's stipend, haven't gotten paid in the last 6 months since I came on as inpatient medical rehab director, I am an independent contractor, they are trying to limit the time away for vacation or cme to 4-5 weeks, I say it's bs that they can't do that since I am not an employed physician, any input?
 
what does the contract say? Of course they can limit the time, if it is in the contract. Your directorship is a type of employment. They need to find a qualified physician to cover for you when you are gone.
 
So the contract in its current form stipulates that I provide for my own coverage the hospital will not pay for locum and I can't take more than 4 weeks off and 1 week off for CME, and the hospital employed hospital gets 7 weeks of vacation, 1 week of CME and $5,000 for CME, I suggested no limitation on time off for 5 weeks vacation and 2 weeks CME I haven't signed anything yet. I am thinking if they are going to place a limit on my time off then they pay for locum and pay $5,000 for CME
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So am in negotiations with my hospital for medical director's stipend, haven't gotten paid in the last 6 months since I came on as inpatient medical rehab director, I am an independent contractor, they are trying to limit the time away for vacation or cme to 4-5 weeks, I say it's bs that they can't do that since I am not an employed physician, any input?

You are getting played. You need to stop admitting and you never should have seen or admitted a patient until you had the contract signed. You are actually putting yourself at risk every day you are a medical director as you are in charge of regulatory decisions, not to mention patient quality, etc.

How competitive is the area you live in for inpt rehab? If its not you really should be dictating how this is going.
 
well, its a bit more complicated, the hospital did help me start my practice off, they gave me an income guarantee for the first several months, so that is why I have been patient, otherwise, I would have left with 1-2 months, I just signed the director agreement this week, and supposed to start getting paid this month, but I have begun to look at other opportunities, because if I don't see a check this month, then I am going to have to leave and go elsewhere. The area is not so competitive I realize now,