Medical Disqualification - HPSP/USUHS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

zzattack

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just got off active duty a few months ago. Today I received my disability rating from the VA- 50%. I was shocked. They gave me 20% for a neuropathy thing (from fixing helocicopters while leaning on elbows, doesn't bother me in normal, day-to-day activities), which I was expecting. What I wasn't expecting was 30% for depression. While in Iraq, I was occasionally, temporarily on anti-depression meds (as were a lot of people there). I haven't taken any medication in well over a year. I am not depressed, at all. My goal is to attend USUHS (or do HPSP as a backup). Is this going to be a problem? Should I try to appeal the VA's rating? On USUHS's website it says:

"History of psychosis, affective illness, personality disorder, eating disorders (i.e., anorexia or bulimia), learning disorders (i.e., attention deficit disorder with or without hyperactivity), and current use of medication are disqualifying. Current use of any psychotropic or psychoactive drug for any reason is disqualifying."

Like I said, I'm not on anything, nor do I need to be on anything.​
Any advice would be great. I will call USUHS as soon as I can, they are probably closed by now.​

Members don't see this ad.

I just got off active duty a few months ago. Today I received my disability rating from the VA- 50%. I was shocked. They gave me 20% for a neuropathy thing (from fixing helocicopters while leaning on elbows, doesn't bother me in normal, day-to-day activities), which I was expecting. What I wasn't expecting was 30% for depression. While in Iraq, I was occasionally, temporarily on anti-depression meds (as were a lot of people there). I haven't taken any medication in well over a year. I am not depressed, at all. My goal is to attend USUHS (or do HPSP as a backup). Is this going to be a problem? Should I try to appeal the VA's rating? On USUHS's website it says:

"History of psychosis, affective illness, personality disorder, eating disorders (i.e., anorexia or bulimia), learning disorders (i.e., attention deficit disorder with or without hyperactivity), and current use of medication are disqualifying. Current use of any psychotropic or psychoactive drug for any reason is disqualifying."

Like I said, I'm not on anything, nor do I need to be on anything.​
Any advice would be great. I will call USUHS as soon as I can, they are probably closed by now.​

You will most likely be able to get a waiver. Good luck.

it's things like this that make a person dishonest with their doctors, not that you should have!, it's just .... aye. it makes a person afraid to do what they need to do -- and that is unhealthy.

best wishes..

Members don't see this ad :)
Ok after reading this thread im a lil worried. I was interested in USUHS or HPSP but i am currently taking an antidepressant for an anxiety disorder. Does that mean that I dont qualify for USUHS or HPSP?

Ok after reading this thread im a lil worried. I was interested in USUHS or HPSP but i am currently taking an antidepressant for an anxiety disorder. Does that mean that I dont qualify for USUHS or HPSP?

According to their rules, yes. I don't know how loose they are on waivers though. I called and spoke to the USUHS people about a similar problem and the lady in charge of all that said it wouldn't be an issue...but I'm not on anything now, so your situation might be different.

According to their rules, yes. I don't know how loose they are on waivers though. I called and spoke to the USUHS people about a similar problem and the lady in charge of all that said it wouldn't be an issue...but I'm not on anything now, so your situation might be different.

Man that blows, my problem isnt even that bad. I really wanted to serve too. So who do I call to talk to about my issue.

Man that blows, my problem isnt even that bad. I really wanted to serve too. So who do I call to talk to about my issue.

Call Ms. Thomas at USUHS - (301) 295-3088. She usually doesn't answer her phone, but if you leave a message she will call you back (the following morning for me).

I had an eating disorder/depression 7 years ago, but recovered and have had no problems since. Would that disqualify me from the HPSP?

I had an eating disorder/depression 7 years ago, but recovered and have had no problems since. Would that disqualify me from the HPSP?

Depression and associated meds are not show stoppers. The regs say you need to be off them for 12 months to be acceptable. Eating disorders are a potential showstopper, but if you have been in remission for 7 years, a waiver is a possibility.