Medical Experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

carmstrong

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Can anyone give me any advice on how to obtain a position in a hospital which will give me some experience. I have just started my search right now, but I have run into some difficulty finding the right person to talk to. When I go to the hospital most of them dont know what is going on. Any advice on what type of job or volenteer position to look for would be appreciated. This position could be either full time, part-time, volenteer, night, etc. I am interested in what type of jobs there would be for a biology graduate interested in getting some quality exposure (for both myself and the decision I have to make, and for the admissions board).

Members don't see this ad.

Carmstrong,

It's easier then you think. I actually did both. As for getting a job, well I actually had a bit of inside help from my friend who was already working there. He told me who to talk to and gave me a little verbal recommendation. However, you can still get in. I got into the radiology dept at my local hopital as a clerk. Besides the paperwork that I do, I am able to witness various procedures talk to every doctor imaginalbe, watch O.R. procedures, access to the E.R., transport patients, etc..

So how do you do it? First off, every hospital has a Human Resources Dept. Start there. Fill out the application (type it) and give them a little paragraph personal statement (cover letter). Then check the job opening list. At our hospital it gives contact numbers to the different supervisors. Get another couple applications together and go to each one personally. Some of them will shrug you off and tell you to go through human resources, however, others will be impressed by your go-getter attitude. Finally, you just have to pester the ones who are receptive to you. I pestered my current boss every week then every other week for about 5 months. They love perserverence. Hopefully you'll get in quicker then that.

Volunteer? Easy. Just go to the volunteer dept. at any hospital, tell them what you want to do, fill out an app, go to a quick interview and your set. Took about 2 weeks for me. I just went in and signed up. It's that easy! I signed up for the Emergency room. It's a great way to see alot of trauma cases and other less critical cases.
What are you tentatively looking at?

By the way, paid hospital work is no less important than volunteer hospital work. However, I think every applicant should have volunteer experiences. Go with what fits your schedual and your financial situation. Start by volunteering, then after time get to know the people and then ask for a job. That's how my buddy did it. Well I hope this helps,

DocGibby

[This message has been edited by DocGibby (edited October 14, 1999).]

Also don't rule out volunteering/shadowing at a doctors office. I did that and really enjoyed it. I already knew the doctor I wanted to work with but you don't have to know them already. I wrote her a letter and explained that I would like to come observe in her office during my free time during the week. It started as observing and then I got to help with procedures, do pt assesments and then report to the doctor. I even got to go along to the hospital for deliveries.
I already had quite a bid of medical experience and only did this for my own benefit and not to help look good on my applications. I prefered this method because I got to do whatever I wanted with the doctor and didn't have a specific duty like a volunteer may be assigned.
Maybe it sounds selfish of me to do it this way rather than to help out at a hospital but I worked my butt off. What ever you do remeber that initiative pays off. Don't wait to be asked to do something. If a bed needs changed go change it before anyone else has a chance etc. The harder you work the more people will want to help you learn and they more they will want you to come back. End of sermon.
By the way the experience was very much worth it. While it took away from my time to study it meant a lot to me personally and it is nice now, when I am so full of Histology and Biochemistry to look back and remember what I am doing this for.

------------------
Carrie
KCOM '03

I've volunteered a lot at hospitals, but I think the only thing I got from it was how to clean a gurney REAL FAST. Now your results may vary. I strongly suggest doing the hospital thing BUT also shadowing/volunteering for a family clinic. You will get to know the doctor better and probably a nice letter too.

------------------
Ryan
Western U/COMP Class of 2004
thedigitaldoctor.com