DO letters and experience

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

GokuZ

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Few questions @Goro

1) How many applicants on average for your school actually have some sort of DO exposure?

2) How many applicants on average actually have a DO letter of rec?

3) Are students with DO letters + shadowing given a stronger preference? (given their stats are still competitive for DO: 504+ and 3.6+ )

Members don't see this ad.

Few questions @Goro

1) How many applicants on average for your school actually have some sort of DO exposure?

2) How many applicants on average actually have a DO letter of rec?

3) Are students with DO letters + shadowing given a stronger preference? (given their stats are still competitive for DO: 504+ and 3.6+ )
1) Great questions! Probably about 50%. Our SMP students push the numbers upward.
2) Hard to estimate because I don't see every app, only the ones that I interview. Of those over the years, I'd guess ~20% maximum. Remember, there are about 2 MDs for every DO out there.
3) Not at the level of getting an II at my school. It's in the Adcom meeting that this might be brought up IF there is any discussion about a candidate. ie, if one is borderline, then having the DO LOR will help.

Not having a DO LOR won't hurt, but having one always helps. I'd say it's more important than the shadowing, but some of my DO colleagues place an equal amount of importance in shadowing as well.

Reactions: 1 users
Interesting. Is a 504 mcat with a 3.99/4.0 cgpa and sgpa still competitive for DO?
The increasing competitiveness in admissions is worrying me for the upcoming DO cycle. CCOM had a 510 average!
Most DO schools, yes.

Do not take counsel of your fears. Apply with a strategic list.

Reactions: 1 user
I am not sure CCOM is worth the sky high tuition for starters. About half of the students I interviewed at my old school had DO letters, but there are many DOs in our state. I always note who had the interest to obtain a DO letter, but don't give them points for it. I always look for students who are truly interested in being a DO. They exist. I am disappointed when students arrive and complain when we expect them to be proficient in OMM.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: 1 users