Medical graduate needing advice on applying PM&R

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Eras.app56

Reaction score
I am a soon to be D.O. graduate. I attempted to match into another competitive specialty and was unsuccessful (no advance or intern year). After shadowing a PM&R doctor in my hometown, I've decided to pursue PM&R as I actually enjoy this more than the other specialty. However, I haven't had any clinical rotations in PM&R, just the shadowing experience. I am trying to get more clinical experience and hopefully a few LOR. I've attempted to reach out to programs about potentially doing a rotation, but I have had no luck since I will be a graduate. I've reached out to the doctor I shadowed and he said it would be hard to write a LOR since he can't speak to clinical acumen (the shadowing was 100% observation). Does anyone have advice on how I could get more clinical experience and possibly obtain a LOR? I appreciate any help!

Members don't see this ad.

What are your plans for next year?

What do you like about PM&R?

Rotations in inpatient are usually your best chance or a split mix. Outpatient EMG, pain or MSK is another good option, but make sure you are learning and knowing your stuff as those can have large learning curves.

What are your plans for next year?

What do you like about PM&R?

Rotations in inpatient are usually your best chance or a split mix. Outpatient EMG, pain or MSK is another good option, but make sure you are learning and knowing your stuff as those can have large learning curves.

What are my plans for next year?: Great question. I’m trying to find a way to do some clinical rotations but that’s been difficult since I will be a graduate and no longer considered a student. I’ve looked into some MA jobs with PM&R doctors. There is a residency program near by that has an MA position opening and I’m thinking about applying for that. I’ve also contacted them about doing a rotation or even just shadowing as well as getting involved in research. Any other advice on what I should do during this gap year?

What do you like about PM&R: like what specific subspecialties or are you asking in general what do I like about PM&R?

Thanks for your help!

Members don't see this ad :)
I’d think a research year would be best if you can’t find any pgy1 intern positions. MAs room patients and do basic office work. Who even knows if they would hire you since you are over qualified and would only be short term. Somehow you need to strengthen your resume and do everything you can to match. PMR is not the easiest specialty to match into either.

Very tough situation. Finding private practice docs or other independent IPRs to shadow may be easier to get in to. But as a doctor without malpractice insurance I think all you would be allowed to do is shadow.

You should evaluate the factors that contributed to your not matching this time, even if the specialty is competitive. Whatever those factors are, you should try to address. I agree, finding some work that gives you some skills and enhances your application is a better option than MA. A research position at a place with a strong PM&R residency would be optimal. You can buid some time for shadowing while getting paid and doing relevant work in the field.