Medical Journals?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

decafplease

Medical Student
10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'd like to subscribe to a medical journal of some type to keep up to date with issues and have some good conversation material for interviews, networking, etc.

Does anyone know which journal is well-rounded and interesting (at least reasonably) to read? NEJM? JAMA? Any others?

Members don't see this ad.

I'd like to subscribe to a medical journal of some type to keep up to date with issues and have some good conversation material for interviews, networking, etc.

Does anyone know which journal is well-rounded and interesting (at least reasonably) to read? NEJM? JAMA? Any others?

The Lancet

I get the weekly JAMA as part of my student AMA membership. It is well-rounded and fairly accessible to non-professionals, as long as you have a decent science background. In any case, the art and editorial essays are interesting.:cool:

Members don't see this ad :)
Are you still a student in a university? If so, you should have free access to medical journals electronically and in print through your library. Or you can just go on campus and get access if you aren't currently a student.

Are you still a student in a university? If so, you should have free access to medical journals electronically and in print through your library. Or you can just go on campus and get access if you aren't currently a student.

I like keeping them for reference. :) I don't mind paying $60 for a year. It's not that bad.

NEJM is good, although it's written (obviously) at a rather advanced level. if you're looking for something interesting to read, i'd suggest the journal of the american academy of family practitioners. it has a wide variety of topics in each issue (in line with the wide range of things family docs need to keep up on) and also has a pretty useful section on relevant articles from other journals, which has summaries of interesting articles from a variety of journals.

the web site for the journal is: http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/publications/journals/afp.html

i know it's free for members - not sure what the price is otherwise.

I like keeping them for reference. :) I don't mind paying $60 for a year. It's not that bad.

You can also save the PDFs to your computer for future reference. But that's cool, $60 isn't bad either :) and some people prefer hard copies anyway.

If you're strongly into international medicine, I would choose the Lancet. For general clinical medicine, either JAMA or NEJM would be fine.

I get NEJM every week and I love it. Some weeks there are 10 articles and im intersted in like none, and other weeks, I literally devour it from cover to cover. Its a great journal b/c they always have a variety of topics covered, and they also have articles abt health care policy, intl health, etc etc, so youre not just staying on top of advances in medicine, but medicare, universal health care, etc etc etc.

If you're strongly into international medicine, I would choose the Lancet. For general clinical medicine, either JAMA or NEJM would be fine.

I'm actually really into international medicine. Thanks! Anybody figure out how to subscribe yet? I can't get price info without registering....:rolleyes:

Lancet :thumbup:

Also NEJM podcasts are cool

I like science, cell, and Blood ( its new but they are really good).
Granted I have to look up stuff A LOT but that way I am forced to look up things I would not normally ever even try to learn.

I think JAMA is a little bland, I like NEJM a little better, but some of the med specialty journals (critical care med type stuff and surgery) are more fun.

Go to your school's med/health sci library, or just the periodicals section of your library if you don't have a library for health sci, and browse for the ones you like, go through half a dozen back issues to get a better sample size.

A lot of the MD association websites offer student memberships which include a subscription to their journal.

NEJM is good, although it's written (obviously) at a rather advanced level. if you're looking for something interesting to read, i'd suggest the journal of the american academy of family practitioners. it has a wide variety of topics in each issue (in line with the wide range of things family docs need to keep up on) and also has a pretty useful section on relevant articles from other journals, which has summaries of interesting articles from a variety of journals.

the web site for the journal is: http://www.aafp.org/online/en/home/publications/journals/afp.html

i know it's free for members - not sure what the price is otherwise.

The AAFP journal is actually pretty good. It's definitely an easier read than JAMA.