Medical Laboratory Assistant

Started by averia1
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

averia1

New Member
7+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
am interested in becoming a Medical Laboratory Assistant. Anyone has an idea how I can go about doing that? Is there qualifications/certifications I need? I'm graduating this semester and I want to get lab experience before I can decide to apply for school for MT.
 
Do you just mean that you want to work in a lab? If so, you usually don't need any qualifications/certifications. Just find a few labs online that you are interested in and email the PI if they have an open position.
 
The lab med assistant works under medical lab tech and medical technologist. I recently researched this title and apparently, you need some certification/qualifications (I think). I'm from Louisiana so I dont know if every state is different or not.
 
One job posted in Louisiana notes:
Minimum Education
High School or equivalent

Required Certification/Registration
Licensed in the state of Louisiana as a Clinical Laboratory Assistant within six months of hire

This is a job in a clinical setting handling specimens and assisting with some laboratory tests (bone marrow biopsies, sweat tests).

Here's the information on being licensed...