medical "missions" over the summer?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

smc927

El Flaquito
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
Does anybody know of any groups going to do medical service (and taking students such as myself) in foreign places this coming summer. Preferrably Spanish-speaking.

I'm not particularly looking for a Christian mission style mission, or any other religious affiliation. Just looking for a group going to spend a week or two over the summer that I could join. Locally I know of a group going to Africa, I'm just looking for more options.

Thanks-

Members don't see this ad.

Unite For Sight has medical service opportunities for med students - http://www.uniteforsight.org/intl_volunteer/

Volunteers screen for eye disease in rural locations, and local eye clinics provide cataract surgery and treatment for the patients. There are a lot of volunteer opps in India, Ghana, and elsewhere.

It definately is religion based, but the CMDA at our school (Christian medical and dental association) does somewhere around 6 medical and dental mission trips per year to small towns accross the border in mexico. I'm at UTHSC-San Antonio - pm me if you need a contact (but I'm a MS3 so if it takes me a while to get back to you, sorry in advance :) )

Members don't see this ad :)
There are a ton of spanish speaking medical volunteer programs for the summer. They are definitely big at my school.

Take a look at: www.cfhi.org or www.amerispan.com/salud

You can also check out www.ifmsa.org and www.ifmsa-usa.org (as a US student you actually qualify for rotations that pre-clinical or clinical) This is also the cheapest of options that I've seen.

There is definitely tons of opportunity out there. If you dont find what your looking for here, google it. I'm planning on hopefully going to Uganda! Live up this last summer! :D

tiredmom said:
It definately is religion based, but the CMDA at our school (Christian medical and dental association) does somewhere around 6 medical and dental mission trips per year to small towns accross the border in mexico. I'm at UTHSC-San Antonio - pm me if you need a contact (but I'm a MS3 so if it takes me a while to get back to you, sorry in advance :) )

My school's CDMA affiliated club is going. But I'm also looking for other options.

It's not spanish speaking, but check out himalayanhealth.com for some great clinical opportunities to an amazing area