Medical Model?

This forum made possible through the generous support of
SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

canshman

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I don't really understand what people mean by schools following a medical model approach. What does that mean? And which schools follow this? What is the alternative to a medical model approach?

Members don't see this ad.

canshman said:
I don't really understand what people mean by schools following a medical model approach. What does that mean? And which schools follow this? What is the alternative to a medical model approach?

This approach concentrates on organic physiologic and pathophysiologic basis of disease processes rather than the neuropscyhologic aspects of visual function. The former curriculum stressed the later model. In the last 10-15 years, most optometry schools have adopted new curricula to include significant emphasis in molecular biology, biochemistry, pathophysiological processes of disease.

In addition, the functional model concentrates on a visual cause to many problems which can be managed by spectacle or contact lenses and vision training or rehabilitation. This school tends to concentrate on this management style and may not be emphasize disease management.

With the medical model, the optometrist is more likely to emphasize pharmacologic as well as lens therapies.

I dont' think the schools are so dichomatous as they were before. Practically all of the optometry colleges must prepare their graduates for possible practice in any of the 50 states of the United States.

Hope this helps.