PhD/PsyD Medical psychology specialty

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Healthinfo103

Membership Revoked
Removed
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
Is this a recognized specialty? I know it required post doctoral medical training or a post doc. Psychopharmacology masters... but what exactly do they do?

Members don't see this ad.

Hey, I have been a medical psychologist (prescribing psychologist) for 2 or 3 years now. Before this, I worked at the Veterans' Administration as a clinical psychologist. I am pretty much a hybrid of a psychiatrist and a psychologist - I conduct evidence based therapy (MBCT typically) and do medication management. However, you have to be careful, as a lot of clinics want you to do prescribing only

Reactions: 2 users
You again?

Medical psychology is not a recognized as a specialty by the American Psychological Association or the American Board of Professional Psychology.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
You again?

Medical psychology is not a recognized as a specialty by the American Psychological Association or the American Board of Professional Psychology.

The APA does give approval for the psychopharmacology training programs for medical psychology.

The APA does give approval for the psychopharmacology training programs for medical psychology.

Correct. But it doesn't recognize a specialty called "medical psychology," which seems to mean different things to different people.

Correct. But it doesn't recognize a specialty called "medical psychology," which seems to mean different things to different people.

I've always had a problem with the moniker 'medical psychologist' for the folks who are psychologists + masters degree in psychopharmacology who are, essentially, 'prescribing psychologists.' I think the term 'medical psychologist' has the potential to confuse the public into believing that these psychologists have received significant medical training (in the form of clerkships, internships, applied on-the-scene experiences) that is broader than just the practice of psychopharmacology and that--consequently--they are trained/qualified to conceptualize, assess, and treat general medical conditions (e.g., diabetes, seizure disorders and the like). I don't understand why they just couldn't call themselves 'prescribing psychologists' and be done with it.

Reactions: 1 users
I've always had a problem with the moniker 'medical psychologist' for the folks who are psychologists + masters degree in psychopharmacology who are, essentially, 'prescribing psychologists.' I think the term 'medical psychologist' has the potential to confuse the public into believing that these psychologists have received significant medical training (in the form of clerkships, internships, applied on-the-scene experiences) that is broader than just the practice of psychopharmacology and that--consequently--they are trained/qualified to conceptualize, assess, and treat general medical conditions (e.g., diabetes, seizure disorders and the like). I don't understand why they just couldn't call themselves 'prescribing psychologists' and be done with it.

The DEA chose it. Nm used the title prescribing psychologist. But there were delays in enacting the law. LA used medical psychologist and enacted first. The DEA needed a title to indicate the psychologist could prescribe and found the abbreviation MP to be easier to use than prescribing psychologist. Because of this, MPs have to use the term when signing for prescriptions in both states.

Reactions: 1 user
The DEA chose it. Nm used the title prescribing psychologist. But there were delays in enacting the law. LA used medical psychologist and enacted first. The DEA needed a title to indicate the psychologist could prescribe and found the abbreviation MP to be easier to use than prescribing psychologist. Because of this, MPs have to use the term when signing for prescriptions in both states.

Thank you. I didn't know the history...very informative.