Medical School Admission Stats: MSAR vs US News vs School's websites

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

batman1983

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, I been looking through the MSAR, US News, and medical school websites for admissions stats(GPA/MCAT/etc) as a basic guideline for what schools I have a chance at. Anyways, I notice a huge discrepancy in the numbers for between the three. It seems that the numbers published by MSAR are always higher than the numbers reported by US News or on the websites of the schools(examples: USC, all the UCs, SUNY Upstate), and I was wondering what accounts for these differences? Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

probably the way they round up.

11.5 = 12 in MSAR
11.5 = 12 in MSAR
10.5 = 11 in MSAR

Total 33.5 vs 35.

So, I been looking through the MSAR, US News, and medical school websites for admissions stats(GPA/MCAT/etc) as a basic guideline for what schools I have a chance at. Anyways, I notice a huge discrepancy in the numbers for between the three. It seems that the numbers published by MSAR are always higher than the numbers reported by US News or on the websites of the schools(examples: USC, all the UCs, SUNY Upstate), and I was wondering what accounts for these differences? Thanks

Isn't MSAR accepted and US News matriculated?

Members don't see this ad :)
Looking at the 2008-2009 MSAR it says "MCAT Information:2006 Accepted Applicants"

I am just not sure about the US news stats b/c I don't have them available

Looking at the 2008-2009 MSAR it says "MCAT Information:2006 Accepted Applicants"

I am just not sure about the US news stats b/c I don't have them available

Yeah but data from last year for each school? I gotta check that when I get home.

MSAR is accepted median
US News is matriculated average
Schools' websites vary

There's going to be a huge discrepancy between accepted median and matriculated average. From what I've seen, MCAT changes by a point and GPA changes by 0.1 to 0.2 points in many cases.

it is obvious that matriculated stats would be lower than accepted, right? and you said yourself that MSAR was higher than USNews? I think you answered your own question there.