Medical School After DPT program

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

KnowledgeRich11

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So, here it is in a nutshell...I am physical therapy student at a top school in the country. I am half way done with the 3-year DPT program and I am finding myself aspiring to be an orthopedic surgeon. This is for many reasons. To make things short. I figure I will finish my degree (good manual ortho experience too) and then work for a couple of years as a traveling PT (85-100K) to pay off my costly private school loans (150K when all said and done). I want to then apply for MD/DO programs and become a physician. I feel that becoming a physician is such a honorable career and I am willing to put the time/work to do it. Just wanted to see if there is anyone out there that has gone through what I am embarking on (PT then MD/DO) and if they have any advise as to what I should do at this stage in the game. Also, if there are any other students in PT with the same thoughts, feel free to post them. Anything would really help. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Welcome- I'm currently a DPT and am planning on applying for several MD/DO schools next cycle. I graduated in 2007 and am currently practicing in outpatient ortho private practice. My frustrations center around our lack of scope, reimbursement limitations and limited patient impact. I would like to have a much greater impact/influence on patients' lives. I feel that many of us DPT's were somewhat misled by the "visions" of the APTA and being a "doctor" of physical therapy. Good luck with your travels and just make sure you obtain all the pre-reqs you need. Also try and do some free care here and there if your up for it; it will demonstrate your altruistic side. There are several other PT's turned MD/DO's on here so I'm sure they can help you a little more. It sure is difficulty considering the loan baggage we carry with us (I'm at 85k), but with the likely significant difference in earnings that won't be an issue down the road.

Okay so I am not the only one out there in this world contemplating DPT to MD/DO! I have been searching online and talking to people and trying to find someone else attempting this career path and until I found this forum I was starting to think I was it---phew!
I am currently half way through my DPT degree with my undergrad in exercise science and although I haven't a clue how to exactly go about this I find myself wanting to go into DO. I realize that this pretty much means that I will be in school for the greater part of my life and be burried under student loans for many years after. That being said I am still seriously considering it, and since I have yet to come across anyone who can point me in the right direction to start I would GREATLY appreciate any pointers or words of advice!
Looking forward to reading more posts on this topic!

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey!

I'm not a frequent poster, but I thought that I would jump in on this one. I'm a DPT that graduated in 2006 and will be starting as an MS1 this fall. I decided after much deliberation to pursue the physician path for similar reasons as other posters....narrow scope of practice, limited ability to advance in the profession, overworked and underpaid, and I have found myself to be continually drawn to the science/evidence aspect of medicine. It was a difficult road to gain acceptance as it had been eight years since I had taken most of the prerequisite courses, so studying for and taking the MCATs while working full-time was tough!

My PT background was a large aspect of my application, and it was well received on interviews last year. I do think it is important to complete the DPT degree and get some years of practice under your belt before applying to med school. Any ways in which you can demonstrate leadership experience are also highly valued (ie try to head up patient advocacy events or strive for a clinic director position).

Anyway, I wish everyone the best of luck with your future endeavors! It looks like there are quite a few of us in the same boat!

how many years it can take after dpt to become md/do?

how many years it can take after dpt to become md/do?

I can't imagine why being a DPT would change anything for medical school, so it would presumably take 4 years for MD/DO plus whatever residency you want to do.

So, here it is in a nutshell...I am physical therapy student at a top school in the country. I am half way done with the 3-year DPT program and I am finding myself aspiring to be an orthopedic surgeon. This is for many reasons. To make things short. I figure I will finish my degree (good manual ortho experience too) and then work for a couple of years as a traveling PT (85-100K) to pay off my costly private school loans (150K when all said and done). I want to then apply for MD/DO programs and become a physician. I feel that becoming a physician is such a honorable career and I am willing to put the time/work to do it. Just wanted to see if there is anyone out there that has gone through what I am embarking on (PT then MD/DO) and if they have any advise as to what I should do at this stage in the game. Also, if there are any other students in PT with the same thoughts, feel free to post them. Anything would really help. Thanks!

It's up to you, but from a fiscal standpoint, it makes no sense. If you're making in the ballpark of 100k it makes no sense to take on the extra grueling years of training, where after opportunity cost and loans are factored in, you will be very behind. I would only go MD/DO if I absolutely hated work as a PT, as you will encounter reimbursement issues as a physician as well.

Reactions: 1 user
Welcome- I'm currently a DPT and am planning on applying for several MD/DO schools next cycle. I graduated in 2007 and am currently practicing in outpatient ortho private practice. My frustrations center around our lack of scope, reimbursement limitations and limited patient impact. I would like to have a much greater impact/influence on patients' lives. I feel that many of us DPT's were somewhat misled by the "visions" of the APTA and being a "doctor" of physical therapy. Good luck with your travels and just make sure you obtain all the pre-reqs you need. Also try and do some free care here and there if your up for it; it will demonstrate your altruistic side. There are several other PT's turned MD/DO's on here so I'm sure they can help you a little more. It sure is difficulty considering the loan baggage we carry with us (I'm at 85k), but with the likely significant difference in earnings that won't be an issue down the road.

Not a lot of DO's that match ACGME Ortho spots, FYI. Only 3 last year in America.

I guess they have their own programs though.

It's up to you, but from a fiscal standpoint, it makes no sense. If you're making in the ballpark of 100k it makes no sense to take on the extra grueling years of training, where after opportunity cost and loans are factored in, you will be very behind. I would only go MD/DO if I absolutely hated work as a PT, as you will encounter reimbursement issues as a physician as well.

?

Let people do what they want. I left a good job for a medical career.