Dismiss Notice

Interview Feedback: Visit Interview Feedback to view and submit interview information.

Interviewing Masterclass: Free masterclass on interviewing from SDN and Medical College of Georgia

Medical School + alcohol violation = ?

Discussion in 'Pre-Medical - MD' started by snorlaz, Dec 28, 2008.

1. .

#1 snorlaz, Dec 28, 2008
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 22, 2010
    bschahal likes this.
  2. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    I got a drinking my frosh year
    I don't know what the legal term is, but I was on court supervision for a year then it was supposed to get "removed" from my record.

If med schools only let in kids that don't drink, your gunna get a lot of sorry sacks without any interpersonal skills. And before anyone complains, no I did not mean that ALL kids who don't drink have no interpersonal skills.

3. LizzyM

LizzyM the evil queen of numbers
    Faculty SDN Advisor 10+ Year Member

Academic Administration
    At least one school is pretty understanding of this sort of thing. I wouldn't worry about it.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  4. mbe36

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    My friend has 2 and I believe he just got an MD acceptance. He had a strong MCAT and GPA. I think what you do after the offense has a lot of influence.

5. Forthegood

Forthegood ProcrastinationAficionado
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had one... wasn't an issue. ADCOMs realize that you other things than just school 24/7. Undergrad is really not all that tough, and of course you go out occasionally. Getting caught doing something stupid is normal in your late teens/early 20s. Just admit it, explain why you think it was stupid...you'll be fine.

6. thiems

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I've had a Minor in Possession and Transporting an Open Container and neither were an issue or even brought up.

7. ryno

ryno fluent in sarcasm
    5+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    I recieved a violation similiar to yours. The charge was dismissed after one year. After talking to a lawyer, I found that the charge and arrest record will still show up on background checks, but they will indicate that the charge was dismissed. Also, I learned that when I am asked if I have been convicted of a misdemeanor, I can say no; if asked if I have ever been arrested, I should say yes. Expungement would make it so nothing showed on your record. From what I've heard (Thanks to LizzyM in other posts), it is really not a big deal.
    I'm not particularly sure as what questions are asked on the AMCAS background check section; can anyone enlighten me?

8. Zona Pellucida

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    You should be fine.

If they really give you problems over that, it is a bit ridiculous.

I would much rather have someone as my doctor who along with being smart and responsible, also wasn't a complete stiff and knew when to have fun/be laid back and when to be serious.

Stop hovering to collapse... Click to collapse... Hover to expand... Click to expand...
  9. Dr. Geoff

Dr. Geoff Mzungu
    10+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had an underage drinking violation.... it wasn't anything serious, and it was only an "institutional action." But I had to put it on my AMCAS app, and I still got in... I hope most schools would look beyond something like that.

10. rama kandra

rama kandra Actual Psychiatrist jk
    5+ Year Member

Medical Student (Accepted)
    Have not had one, but I don't think it should stop you or cause any problems. If they bring it up, its because they have nothing better to ask you.

11. funkydrmonkey

funkydrmonkey They Call Me Dr. Funkmonk
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    Medical School + alcohol violation = 700 Threads on SDN about the same effing topic...
    Is there seriously nothing that you do besides drinking? Check out this thread for some ideas for fun that do not involve alcohol.
    http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=589469

To the OP: I am sorry, this is not just targeted to you, but SERIOUSLY!

12. 229141

Pre-Medical
    Was it REALLY an alcohol violation? I think you were just performing an organic chemistry lab experiment with ethyl alcohol..in fact, put organic chemistry research as an EC bud :D

Honestly though..it won't help you but I think you can make it through this and get into several schools. After all..its alcohol

13. cyclin M

cyclin M megaman
    2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    hmm apparently people here equate being "fun and laid back" with "alcohol violation." :lame:

14. ChemEngMD

ChemEngMD No need to hide behind private profiles
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student
    how did all of you get caught so easy? lol

15. cbrons

cbrons Ratatoskr! *Roar*
    10+ Year Member

Non-Student
    small town with cops who have absolutely nothing better to do + they need to raise money because the county is broke

mind you this was 3 years ago, I've since turned 21

16. LizzyM

Academic Administration
    One reason why adcoms are so unconcerned about minor alcohol violations is because a hard line on them would discriminate against kids at some schools and give a free pass to kids at other schools where the enforcement of the law is lax (one school tends to send drunk kids to the infirmary to "sleep it off" while another will write you up).

17. Zona Pellucida

7+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I am speaking from personal experience where my girlfriend, the girl who NEVER drinks, went on a camping trip with her friends after graduating from high school. She got the exact violation from the one time she did drink to celebrate her graduation. I was just saying that just because someone got the violation does not mean they are some raging alcoholic that is always drunk.

And the people in this thread going on about how bad alcohol is...

It is a huge part of almost every culture in the world. My own family has wine every Sunday before and during dinner. Not a big deal.

18. ChemEngMD

ChemEngMD No need to hide behind private profiles
    10+ Year Member

MDApps:
    Medical Student

:laugh: I think that's a bit of an overgeneralization...culturally alcohol is very frowned upon in a lot of countries...especially Muslim countries and I believe the count is to 1.3 billion Muslims worldwide. The only reason alcohol is looked at as okay and things like marijuana aren't is because culturally alcohol comes from Europe whereas other drugs and what not come from places where non-whites live. But that's an argument for another time.

19. yellowtibby

5+ Year Member

Medical Student
    I had an alcohol violation that stayed on my record and was sent to the medical schools I applied too. I just explained what happened on my "violation" section of the amcas and wrote about what I learned from it. The only school that really seemed to care was BU, the dean emailed me to have me explain what happened in detail, I did and BAM I was rejected the next day lol . I still received several interview offers from med schools and received an acceptance with a scholarship so I don't think it matters that much as long as you are honest and tell them what your learned from it.

They did ask about it during interview though. I was just honest and they just shrugged it off. I think you'll be fine. Just don't try to hide it.

20. 229141

Pre-Medical
    I think the big thing here is that alcohol is not an illegal drug...

Now if he got caught popping opiates or some prescription thats entirely different since it would imply he could abuse his power as a doc. But who the hell doesn't have a drink once in awhile? MUCH bigger deal when getting caught abusing prescription pharmaceuticals

21. kitabread

Pre-Medical
    I received a Minor in Possession ticket 2 years ago while at the lake. The ticket will be expunged once I turn 21 at the end of the month, in which case I would not need to put it on my application.
    I am debating on submitting my application by the end of the week and explaining my ticket on the TMDSAS application. I have a 3.67 gpa from UT Austin and 34 MCAT. Do you guys think this will affect my application? Should I not even list the misdemeanor on there since it will be expunged in less than a month?

22. DNM

DNM
    7+ Year Member

Resident [Any Field]
    I say go for it and apply early, as long as you can articulate how you grew from it and have matured since then. I had an alcohol related IA on my AMCAS; I applied last year and was accepted to a MD program.

23. arish

2+ Year Member

Pre-Medical
    It depends on the school
    Some schools require criminal records some schools dont
    You should check that in MSAR

24. jr93

Medical Student
    Illegal drug, no? Obviously illegal if you get caught drinking underage so it isn't THAT much different. Some would argue that many drugs are natural and shouldn't have steep penalties for personal use. Stupid potheads at a party cause less problems for others than a middle class worker that drives drunk. And the previous poster is correct in that alcohol being so freely used is mostly an American and European thing. Alcohol abuse is frowned upon in many cultures. In many places, an alcoholic beverage is part of a meal and it ends there. We're one of the few countries where large amounts of people sit on the couch and drink beer.

25. jr93

Medical Student
    Almost all will check nowadays if you're accepted but that isn't the issue. He's wondering if it will matter. The schools will almost certainly see it. Like someone said, even "expunged" records show up on deep background checks, the police record is just "gone". For the most part it won't matter. I live in one of the few states where parking tickets show up on your background check. The school already warned people to not panic when you get your report back and notice a "criminal" background because the school doesn't care about most of it unless you committed a serious crime.

26. LizzyM

Academic Administration
    I often think about this as, "If you did this as a medical student, would the school suspend you, put you on probation, or expel you?" You could also ask yourself, "If I was caught doing this as a licensed physician, would the state licensing board revoke my licence, put me on probation, or require me to have random drug testing? Would my hospital revoke my privleges?"

If they would be unlikely to do any of those things, then in all likelihood it won't interfer with your consideration as a applicant.

27. jr93

Medical Student
    Getting an underage as a physician would be impressive. Just kidding, I follow you. Although I'd say doctors get away with and have more power than a pre-med kid that is applying. Applying to med schools can be one of the most helpless situations where good kids get rejected all the time and don't know why. I've known a couple doctors with heavy suspicion of drug abuse and still have their pen and pad. And by suspicion I mean, the normal co-workers all know that he/she abuses prescription pills but administration would have a hard time proving it without a drug test which most doctors would just decline anyway and move along with no punishment if they are difficult to replace.

28. Larger

Pre-Medical
    alcohol...damn

#28 Larger, Jun 4, 2013
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2013
  29. Lil Mick

5+ Year Member

MD/PhD Student
    Have personal experience and experience helping others address this on their apps. Send me a PM if you have specific questions about how to note it, what needs to be reported...