medical school boring?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

RandomGuy

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a rising 2nd year who is starting to suspect that I went into the wrong field. First year was hard because of the sheer volume of information, but intellectually it was simple to a stifling degree. In college I worked hard to polish my analytical and writing skills. In fact, these are the skills that are most strongly emphasized in any liberal arts curriculum. But in the medical school setting, these traits are considered superfluous, as not constituting "real" knowledge. I know that medical school, especially first year, is not a fair representation of the medical profession. But I wonder. My colleagues represent, after all, the next generation of physicians. Is this field as mind-numbing as it seems right now? Should I bow my head and remind myself that the reward of helping people (who have health insurance) trumps all other concerns of career satisfaction...

Members don't see this ad.

Seriously, what did you expect? You'd go to Hogwarts and learn exciting magic spells? :p

It's essentially the same as the undergrad biology courses you took only with far more depth and volume. If those were too "stifling" for you, you're not going to like the preclinical years much. On the possible up side, the clinical years are totally unlike that, on the likely downside, I've never heard anyone describe them as intellectually pushing them to the limit.

Members don't see this ad :)
Although you sound kind of pretentious, I think you'll find future years better.

Second year is still a lot of "Hey kids, now you're going to memorize all the disease of the liver!" But you also start to learn the basics of a history and physical exam which allow you to be more expressive. However, the information is a lot more like scientific writing in getting as much information as you can into a small space, so that may not be stimulating for you.

Third and fourth year you have to start functioning as a mini-doctor, so not only do you have to know all the diseases you were supposed to learn previously, you've got to start applying that knowledge. So you're definitely flexing your analytical skills there.

Although you sound kind of pretentious, I think you'll find future years better.

I partially agree, but with a caveat. Too many people show up expecting a field of constant entertainment and exciting and interesting cases. Too many people seem to think it's going to be a constant cake and ice cream shindig -- some mix of House, ER and Grey's. Truth of the matter is that it's mostly horses, not zebras, the people in the specialty don't look like McDreamys/Izzys, most people don't go out and drink at the bar across the street after shifts, and you will frequently spend more time on repetitive paperwork than you will actually curing people. Even the stuff that is fun at the beginning gets a bit routine after a point -- so you have to enjoy the process rather than the procedures. But yes, the first two years are really just learning the foundation on which the subsequent clinical years rely, so it's hard to make that much better than drudgery -- it's something you gotta know for later, but hard to see where it's going at that stage.

I'm a rising 2nd year who is starting to suspect that I went into the wrong field. First year was hard because of the sheer volume of information, but intellectually it was simple to a stifling degree. In college I worked hard to polish my analytical and writing skills. In fact, these are the skills that are most strongly emphasized in any liberal arts curriculum. But in the medical school setting, these traits are considered superfluous, as not constituting "real" knowledge. I know that medical school, especially first year, is not a fair representation of the medical profession. But I wonder. My colleagues represent, after all, the next generation of physicians. Is this field as mind-numbing as it seems right now? Should I bow my head and remind myself that the reward of helping people (who have health insurance) trumps all other concerns of career satisfaction...

Welcome to the first hoop... many more to go.

Only one is needed in this case: a spell to get rid of a troll.

how about a spell stopping sdners from the mad troll hunt? there arent many that would waste their time fooling you guys. you arent that special :rolleyes:.

Members don't see this ad :)
In college I worked hard to polish my analytical and writing skills. In fact, these are the skills that are most strongly emphasized in any liberal arts curriculum. But in the medical school setting, these traits are considered superfluous, as not constituting "real" knowledge.
Wait until you take the boards.

Should I bow my head and remind myself that the reward of helping people (who have health insurance) trumps all other concerns of career satisfaction...
Lets see... there's emergency medicine, clinics for the uninsured...

how about a spell stopping sdners from the mad troll hunt? there arent many that would waste their time fooling you guys. you arent that special :rolleyes:.

Finished the new book, and realized troll might not be the best term, garden gnome fits better. Trolls kill you, gnomes are annoying, unless your name is Luna or Xenophilia. Man, I'm such a dork. I wonder how much pathology I've forgotten from reading that book. Only so much room!

Alot of med school is boring as all hell. Second year was just pure pain for me. I'm rotating on a medical subspecialty now and half of the day is sitting around waiting for the attending to come so we can round for 3.5 hours.

Then I come home and hear about what my non-medical friends have done all day and thank God for my luck.

Alot of med school is boring as all hell. Second year was just pure pain for me. I'm rotating on a medical subspecialty now and half of the day is sitting around waiting for the attending to come so we can round for 3.5 hours.

Then I come home and hear about what my non-medical friends have done all day and thank God for my luck.

There is a lot of wisdom in this post.

Yeah, even though you are stuck with all the boring memorization now, you won't be forever. When you practice, people will begin to appreciate your liberal arts background. (I hope.)

However, many patients will not be willing to ask you about your views on Milton or your ability to constuct iambic pentameter (spelling?!)...

As for Hogwarts, I am only going to med school so I can get a sweet residency at St. Mungo's. Spells may come in handy one day... "accio opthalmascope!"
(let your inner dork shine)

Not cool dude, not cool.

But I suppose whatever spreads the word....

Maybe you should be an English teacher or something. You need to memorize medical facts so you can be useful during your clinical years. If this is bothersome to you, get over it. You're halfway done.

I don't know if this is common, but I got to go on rounds recently and one of the assignments of the 3rd year med students was to find a bunch of papers on topic x and present. It was analyzing literature! It was awesome, I felt like I was back in my Spanish literature classes. Buy a book on how to read a paper and you'll cheer up. There are also books on medical writing. I'm sorry your school doesn't offer any electives that are fun (even my semi-traditional school offers "The Art of Observation"). Later on, try to stay away from recipe type residencies (cookie-cutter, follow these sets of instructions medicine.) Or find a mentor with your interests. There have to be other people like us out there (I totally understand your frustrations) and with more people from liberal arts backgrounds going into medicine, I can't wait to see where it goes. Also, I have found research a nice change from my pre-med memorization classes (I haven't started M1 yet). You read, you analyze, you brainstorm, you contemplate the unknown, you discuss with other doctors, you do the project (the most boring part, and the part the lowly like ourselves most often do), then you write. Find someone willing to let you help with the cool parts. I refuse to be a robot happy with gathering information alone. Patients will need us to know lots of things, of course, but they will also need us to retain a bit of humanity.

I don't know if this is common, but I got to go on rounds recently and one of the assignments of the 3rd year med students was to find a bunch of papers on topic x and present. It was analyzing literature! It was awesome, I felt like I was back in my Spanish literature classes. Buy a book on how to read a paper and you'll cheer up. There are also books on medical writing. I'm sorry your school doesn't offer any elective that are fun (even my semi-traditional school offers "The Art of Observation"). Later on, try to stay away from recipe type residencies (cookie-cutter, follow these sets of instructions medicine).

Presenting a journal article at rounds is not "analyzing literature". Its a necessary pain in the a$$.

Presenting a journal article at rounds is not "analyzing literature". Its a necessary pain in the a$$.

Ugh, I guess I really will be surrounded by robots. I think I know what analyzing literature is. There is not one cookie-cutter way to do it.... Of course it's not a book, but it is writing that presents information that needs to be processed and critiqued. Maybe I saw it more as analyzing because it was less presenting and more a discussion--the doctor got very involved because the med students didn't really know what they were doing. (I wouldn't either... I'm still learning).

Ugh, I guess I really will be surrounded by robots. I think I know what analyzing literature is. There is not one cookie-cutter way to do it.... Of course it's not a book, but it is writing that presents information that needs to be processed and critiqued. Maybe I saw it more as analyzing because it was less presenting and more a discussion--the doctor got very involved because the med students didn't really know what they were doing. (I wouldn't either... I'm still learning).

It might depend on what kind of article they were analyzing. Some articles are more interesting than others. It's just that when you start doing EBM, and getting into endless discussions about alpha, p-values, and "optimal" sample sizes, then it gets boring.

There is no "one cookie-cutter way" to do it...but your attending or small group leader will almost certainly "prefer" that you do things their way. Sorry - might as well get used to it now.

Dear randomguy,
For liberal arts types, the first two years of med school are the worst possible torture. I promise you that it does get much better. In just another year, you'll get to start analyzing and writing... and this is when your science-math genius classmates look like chumps, and the H's start to appear on your transcript. There are a lot more horses than zebras, sure. But even the most everyday situation has to be carefully thought through and individualized for the patient. Now that I'm a month into third year, I think I finally have an idea what's meant by "clinical judgement", and I'm smart enough to know that I don't have any and that it'll take me decades to become the kind of clinican that I want to be. There'll be lots of puzzles along your way, and it's going to take some creating thinking on your part-so hang in there, and dust off your brain cells once in a while so they'll still be good when you need them.

There are a lot of different areas of medicine, some are more intellectually stimulating than others. Just work hard right now, if you find yourself interested in something then go into a little more depth- that's what I did. It may have negatively impacted my grades a little but I think it helped me on the usmle and whenever the topics where I delved deeper come up in the future.