This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

amerepedestrian

OMS-1
5+ Year Member
Reaction score
I made some modifications to existing program comparison tools ( courtesy of @Depakote and @voteknope -- thank you so much, seriously!) to adapt them for my purposes of comparing up to 8 programs in a meaningful, transparent way. If you need help deciding between numerous medical schools, this is the tool for you.

I have included a Sample spreadsheet so you have an idea of what it should look like when you're finished as well as a Template for you to use for your own program comparisons.

How to Use

1. Modify the Preference Factors to fit your needs. Just worry about names first, not how important the factors are to you.
2. Go to the right side of the sheet and assign weights (importance) to each of the factors according to the adjacent key.
3. Fill out school titles.
4. Rank each school on each Preference Factor. Totals should automatically calculate unless you significantly modify the structure of the sheet.
5. Color code the completed cells according to the evaluation key provided.
6. Color code programs based on final WEIGHTED scores according to the score range provided.
7. Fill out School Decision (whether the school admits, rejects, holds or waitlists you) and Applicant Decision (whether you plan to accept or reject a possible invitation and under what circumstances) as needed.

Improvements from Previous Versions

- Ability to easily score and rank up to 8 programs (or more if you must--see instructions at bottom of post)
- Attractive design/color scheme
- Numeric, visual, AND qualitative representations of subjective program quality
- Simple factor weights with no calculation required to determine them
- No need to input preference factors in order = less hassle in modifying them to fit your needs. With this tool, you can change the factor names and reduce or add to the number of factors without much trouble, assigning YOUR OWN level of importance to each one.
- Highly systematic and organized way to make decisions about medical programs
- Can be used algorithmically because I assigned meaning to total score ranges
- Can be used to track the overall admissions process and your final decisions about programs

Limitations

- Factor weights and meanings should really be on the left side next to the factor names. I was too lazy to modify this after inputting all my formulas, so I just added a duplicate factor names column next to the weights.
- If you're only comparing 3 programs, one of the other tools may be better-suited to your needs.

Enjoy! Feel free to comment or message me with any questions. You can obviously use it or modify it however you want.

-----------------

You can use this tool for > 8 programs if you want, but you'll have to manually add in the formulas.
It's easy, though. To add the ninth etc. program:
1. Insert tab > Column (will add to the left of selected column)
2. Name your school
3. Rate school on preference factors
4. Go to the Totals row and input "SUM(first ranking cell in column, e.g. C2: last ranking cell in column, e.g. C22)" so it will look like "SUM(C2:C22)"
5. Insert column to the right for the school's weighted scores
6. In the first weighted score cell, e.g. D2, input "(first unweighted score cell*cell containing corresponding factor weight), so it might look like "C2*J2"
7. Go to the lower right corner of the cell and drag all the way to the bottom cell, thereby copying the formula you just made to all relevant cells for the school
8. Go to the Totals row and input "SUM(first cell in column:last cell in column") to total the weighted scores, so it might look like "SUM(D2 : D22)"

Edit: I'm sure there's also a way to just copy the formula from similar columns, like dragging it over or using the COPY+PASTE SPECIAL function, but I guess I value care over efficiency *shrugs*

Disclaimer: I am not the original creator of the basic tools. I just modified them to suit my own needs and wanted to share with other applicants.

Disclaimer: I significantly changed information in the Sample spreadsheet to protect my privacy in selecting a medical program.

Members don't see this ad.

Attachments

• Med School Comparison Spreadsheet for Many Schools-Sample.xls
    41 KB · Views: 384
  • Med School Comparison Spreadsheet for Many Schools-Template.xls
    38 KB · Views: 257
Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Some changes I made right off the bat:

1) Lock the Preference Factors column so that it remains in place when I'm filling out schools past D.
2) Added conditional formatting that automatically and instantly color codes the cells based on the value I enter into the cell. Also added the conditional formatting to the Totals row.

Reactions: 1 user
Some changes I made right off the bat:

1) Lock the Preference Factors column so that it remains in place when I'm filling out schools past D.
2) Added conditional formatting that automatically and instantly color codes the cells based on the value I enter into the cell. Also added the conditional formatting to the Totals row.

Sweet, that makes things much more user-friendly! Thanks :D You should post the file if you have the time to erase the information/put it in template form.