Medical School dismissal and options moving forward

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
This is exactly why I've heard some PDs say that you should be more concerned with a Carib student with great performance than poor performance- if they're so damn smart, there must be something else in the mix that sent them there in the first place.

Not necessarily. Its possible that they just weren't focused enough in undergrad and performed poorly as a result. By the time they came to the Caribbean, they had matured significantly and performed much better.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh wait, never mind. Now I get why he ended up with so few interviews. He applied to over 100 ortho programs, very few of which will take Carib grads to begin with, and only 9 IM programs. Not to mention the guy comes across as a narcissistic a$$hat.

Not necessarily. Its possible that they just weren't focused enough in undergrad and performed poorly as a result. By the time they came to the Caribbean, they had matured significantly and performed much better.
Poor undergrad performance can be more easily remediated with grade replacement.
Nowadays, strong USMLE performance from the Caribbean indicates non-academic reasons for their banishment/choice.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Poor undergrad performance can be more easily remediated with grade replacement.
Nowadays, strong USMLE performance from the Caribbean indicates non-academic reasons for their banishment/choice.
So now your narrative is, it's a bad thing if you go to the Caribbean and get great board scores? You are truly ridiculous.

Given the option of grade replacement, choosing to forgo that to go Caribbean does show bad qualities of that person...
Only if you are starting with the presumption that going to a Caribbean medical school is the worst decision you could ever make in life. And while it's clear that you, gyngyn, goro, etc feel this way, it's not actually a fact. There are many PDs who choose high achieving Caribbean grads over USMDs and DOs every year.

So now your narrative is, it's a bad thing if you go to the Caribbean and get great board scores? You are truly ridiculous.
If someone has the ability to do really well on tests what reasons are left to explain the Caribbean choice?

If someone has the ability to do really well on tests what reasons are left to explain the Caribbean choice?
Uh, time? Some people are tired of being in standstill and just want to move on to the next stage of their life.

It's still a risk proposition, but it's not as if sitting around tweaking your application and reapplying for 2-3 more years is a surefire way to get into an allopathic school either.

I can only state why I decided to go the route, and that tatsuchi pretty much already nailed it: time. I wasn't going to wait and try to get into a U.S. school at the age that I was applying after already being well-established in another career. Of course, that was 14 years ago and I recognize that the environment might have more-than-slightly changed since then.

Everyone has different reasons. So, don't judge. Help. Try to understand. Part of helping is ensuring people are informed of the risks/consequences, as well as the (potential) reward. Not asking loaded quasi-rhetorical questions.

-Skip

Last edited:
Everyone has different reasons. So, don't judge. Help. Try to understand. Part of helping is ensuring people are informed of the risks/consequences, as well as the (potential) reward. Not asking loaded quasi-rhetorical questions.

-Skip
It is the job of PD's to judge.
I pose questions that anyone can answer so that candidates will know how they are being judged.
Thus, they have a fuller view of real risk to offset what the schools have apparently sold them.

Last edited by a moderator:
Skip,

You're working under the assumption that people are trying to help.

Skip,

You're working under the assumption that people are trying to help.
I can only state why I decided to go the route, and that tatsuchi pretty much already nailed it: time. I wasn't going to wait and try to get into a U.S. school at the age that I was applying after already being well-established in another career. Of course, that was 14 years ago and I recognize that the environment might have more-than-slightly changed since then.

-Skip
I am glad @Skip Intro is here for the guys who have already made this decision.
My comments are here for those whose decision is not yet made.

It is the job of PD's to judge.
I pose questions that anyone can answer so that candidates will know how they are being judged.
When it comes to caribbean medical schools, all you do is present personal bias and opinion as fact. Many of the things you proclaim are questionable at best, and just blatantly dishonest at worst. But hey, to each his own I guess.