Medical School Equipment for Students

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VitruMan725

Membership Revoked
Removed
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Lets say someone was creating the perfect package for first year students. From talking to several sources, it is my understanding that such a kit would include:

-Otoscope/Ophthalmoscope Kit
-Stethoscope
-Pulseomiter
-Blood Pressure Cuff
-Reflex Hammer
-Tuning Fork
-Visual Card/Tape Measure

Naturally, these things can be expensive. There are alternatives though, especially when it comes to choosing brands and specifics, leading to the following questions:

How much better is Welch Allyn as opposed to a newer company such as ADC, which offers lower prices?
How important is it that Otoscope/Ophthalmoscopes kits include Halogen/LED light?
Is there a specific kind of case you would want the combination to come in?
What is an affordable price for such a package?

Effectively, the goal here is to create the best possible package at the best possible price. My sister goes to medical school and she told me to come here to get a general consensus from the medical school community.

Any and all feedback would be much appreciated. If I'm missing something, please let me know. I truly want to understand your needs so I can make the lives of current and future med students a bit more affordable!

Members don't see this ad.

Honestly, minus the stethoscope, none of that is necessary. My school provided us will all of that equipment my M1 year, and I have never used it. You aren't going to lug it all around with you when all the clinics and hospitals that you rotate at already have that equipment there. Spend the money on a decent stethoscope and forget the rest.

Reactions: 1 users
My school requires we have all that shi*. :/

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
My school requires we have all that shi*. :/
If it's required, then buy a good stethoscope, then ebay/amazon for the cheapest price+shipping. Or see if you can get used from people in your school from previous years who bought due to requirement then never used them.

If i was to start over, I would get a good stethoscope, a tromner reflex hammer, maxwell's, and a good penlight.

I got my opth and oto on ebay for a steal. I'd suggest looking there for them but beware the welch allyn pocketscope junior sets as they aren't sold in the US because they aren't up to our standards (or so iv'e been told).
I agree with above posters, get yourself a nice littman cardiology III and get your name engraved as sticky fingers are all around.
The rest of the above crap is relatively cheap and I'd be surprised that they required a pulse ox

lol don't waste your money getting anything other than a stethoscope

I agree with everyone else. I bought the otoscope/opthalmoscope, reflex hammer, etc. and the only things I use on a regular basis are trauma sheers and my stethoscope. Not a huge difference between stethoscopes in my opinion but for an extra $100, may as well get the cardiology III or the Harvey. For vision card you can use your smartphone. Reflex hammers and tuning forks are cheap but you don't use them often and you can use your stethoscope as a hammer in a pinch. You could always buy those two and keep them in your backpack. BP cuff, thermometer, pulse ox, optho/otoscope should all be in the hospital/clinic.

Actually, some schools really give them to students for free (not as part of your tuition) - as in, stethoscopes provided by alumni associations etc.

Apart from a steth, I'd personally only add stuff like some cheap pens, cheap notepads, maybe some tape, thick skin for the pimping, etc.

I agree with everyone else. I bought the otoscope/opthalmoscope, reflex hammer, etc. and the only things I use on a regular basis are trauma sheers and my stethoscope. Not a huge difference between stethoscopes in my opinion but for an extra $100, may as well get the cardiology III or the Harvey. For vision card you can use your smartphone. Reflex hammers and tuning forks are cheap but you don't use them often and you can use your stethoscope as a hammer in a pinch. You could always buy those two and keep them in your backpack. BP cuff, thermometer, pulse ox, optho/otoscope should all be in the hospital/clinic.

Nurse or MA should worry about those. Really tho.

Seriously, equipment for M1 should be:
- a comfortable chair
- computer

Our second years were given the same advice as you guys are and now we're required to purchase all the diagnostic tools.

To OP, get a suture practice kit

It seems like there is a mix of those who are required to get these things and those who don't. For those who are required, what pieces do you have to get and which brand/price do you look for?

If you could buy all the pieces together for one low price, would you?

It seems like there is a mix of those who are required to get these things and those who don't. For those who are required, what pieces do you have to get and which brand/price do you look for?

If you could buy all the pieces together for one low price, would you?
Help us help you. Please give us more info.

1) How "low" of a price are we talking about? It really depends on what the "low price" is and also what exactly is included. For example, is what's included in this package everything you listed in your original post, is there more stuff you didn't mention, is there less?

2) I think one thing everyone would agree on is a stethoscope. As I already said above, I'd personally recommend the Littmann Cardio III.

3) Hasn't med school already started for your sister? If so, can't your sister ask her classmates as well (especially the more senior M3s/M4s who are already on rotations) to see what they're using, where they got their stuff, how relevant buying all this "really" is, what they'd recommend doing, etc.? They should have directly relevant information specific to your sister's situation since they're at the same school, hospitals, gone through or going through everything she'll go through, etc., whereas we're just a bunch of strangers offering you or your sister advice which may or may not be helpful or suitable to her specific circumstances.

Last edited:
I used all that stuff like 5 times in lab over the course of two years. My stethoscope is the only thing I've actually gotten use out of, the rest of it sits at home in case my wife or kid gets an earache.

1) How "low" of a price are we talking about? It really depends on what the "low price" is and also what exactly is included. For example, is what's included in this package everything you listed in your original post, is there more stuff you didn't mention, is there less?

For example, you can get an ADC Otoscope/Ophthalmoscope Kit for $129 : http://www.tigermedical.com/Products/Standard-25v-Otoscope-Ophthalmoscope-Set__ADC5210.aspx
On the other hand, my sister had to buy the following which costs $748: http://themedicalstore.biz/index.ph...tuemart_product_id=6&virtuemart_category_id=2

Thats over a $600 dollar difference. The ADC one doesn't have light and whatnot, but for home/practice use, how big is the difference? If I was putting together a kit just for students to practice with, would the ADC be good enough? Or would a $370 dollar one such as: http://www.tigermedical.com/Product...oscope-Diagnostic-Sets__RIE3746-prd-004-.aspx do the trick.

What about pocket ones such as this: http://www.tigermedical.com/Product...et-Set--Xenon-Illumination__RIE2130-202-.aspx
Those seem very portable, nice white color and have illumination.

The goal here is to get a general consensus of what exactly you guys would want if such a package did exists.

2) I think one thing everyone would agree on is a stethoscope. As I already said above, I'd personally recommend the Littmann Cardio III.

Gotcha on that. Everyone seems to like it.

3) She already has her package. The school gave her one and added the cost to her tuition. We then came up with the idea of creating a standardize package so I came here for some feedback.

stethoscope only. i think that a good ophthalmoscope is good if you actually want to learn how to do a proper eye exam but most people outside of ophtho don't really need it. you can use a middle of the road otoscope and be totally fine unless you want to do ent. Don't get that pocket one, that looks like utter crap and you're being robbed if you pay $200 for what looks like a 10 dollar kit.