Medical School GPA/MCAT averages

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

s48jet

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Im pretty sure this hasn't been posted (Ive spent some time searching). How many accepted students do you think actually have a very good GPA and MCAT? Ill use this example to explain what I mean:

Steve gets accepted with a GPA of 3.3 and MCAT 40

Karen gets accepted to the same school with a GPA of 4.0 and MCAT of 27.

Averages of the two are 3.65 GPA and 33.5 MCAT

Therefore, do you think the chances are decent of getting accepted with a low GPA or MCAT as long as the other is really good? THis example illustrates that it very well be the case that averages of MCAT/GPA are not representative of each student.

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Im pretty sure this hasn't been posted (Ive spent some time searching). How many accepted students do you think actually have a very good GPA and MCAT? Ill use this example to explain what I mean:

Steve gets accepted with a GPA of 3.3 and MCAT 40

Karen gets accepted to the same school with a GPA of 4.0 and MCAT of 27.

Averages of the two are 3.65 GPA and 33.5 MCAT

Therefore, do you think the chances are decent of getting accepted with a low GPA or MCAT as long as the other is really good? THis example illustrates that it very well be the case that averages of MCAT/GPA are not representative of each student.
I see that you are a new member. Welcome!

I would highly suggest to you (if no one has already) that you get a copy of the MSAR. It's not too expensive, and if you are still early in your premed career, you can even get last year's copy for next to nothing. Good luck to you.

I see that you are a new member. Welcome!

I would highly suggest to you (if no one has already) that you get a copy of the MSAR. It's not too expensive, and if you are still early in your premed career, you can even get last year's copy for next to nothing. Good luck to you.

thank you! I will definitely look into it!

How did someone get accepted with under 2.0 GPA and a 24-26 MCAT. He must have some pretty major extenuating circumstances or some crazy good connections.

How did someone get accepted with under 2.0 GPA and a 24-26 MCAT. He must have some pretty major extenuating circumstances or some crazy good connections.

lol ya or probably went to graduate school.