Medical School GPA

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

thechosenone

10+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have a question: how are you graded in your classes in medical school, do you receive letter grades A,B,C etc...which count toward your GPA or is it pass fail. I am curious about this, insh'allah I hope to be starting medical school this fall at SGU and intend to kick ass and be the class valedictorian... Are you ranked in your class as well?

Members don't see this ad.

thechosenone said:
I have a question: how are you graded in your classes in medical school, do you receive letter grades A,B,C etc...which count toward your GPA or is it pass fail. I am curious about this, insh'allah I hope to be starting medical school this fall at SGU and intend to kick ass and be the class valedictorian... Are you ranked in your class as well?

It depends on the medical school. Some school go by numbers and some by pass/fail. There is definitely ranking, though.

thechosenone said:

At SGU: Letter grades for basic science courses, no + or - though. Letter grades for clinical clerkships (3rd year). Pass/Fail for clinical electives (4th year).
We are ranked at the end of our first and second years. And since you plan on being numero uno, it looks pretty good in interviews when you can say you are # whatever / 250 people! Interviewing for surgery this year, my rank was always brought up and told to be a very important factor along with my step scores...

Members don't see this ad :)
cutslikeaknife said:
At SGU: Letter grades for basic science courses, no + or - though. Letter grades for clinical clerkships (3rd year). Pass/Fail for clinical electives (4th year).
We are ranked at the end of our first and second years. And since you plan on being numero uno, it looks pretty good in interviews when you can say you are # whatever / 250 people! Interviewing for surgery this year, my rank was always brought up and told to be a very important factor along with my step scores...

Let us know what program you get into on match day!

Good luck being #1. It seems that everyone goes down to SGU with the mindset that they're going to be top of their class and transfer out. Let me tell you, its pretty tough, there's a lot of competition down there. I got friends down there with mcats of 36,37,43....there are a lot of bright people at sgu. You have been forewarned. Everyone, needs to work hard down there, especially if you want to be #1.

berkeleyboy said:
Good luck being #1. It seems that everyone goes down to SGU with the mindset that they're going to be top of their class and transfer out. Let me tell you, its pretty tough, there's a lot of competition down there. I got friends down there with mcats of 36,37,43....there are a lot of bright people at sgu. You have been forewarned. Everyone, needs to work hard down there, especially if you want to be #1.

If they have mcats of 43 why didn't they go to harvard?

Sheral said:
If they have mcats of 43 why didn't they go to harvard?
Sometimes High mcat scores and gpa don't correlate. At sgu, you have a lot of extremes. Usually those with ridiculously high mcats have really low gpas. I'm talking 2.8ish. Smart but lazy....

yeah i have a friend who just got back from the peace corps now and took the mcat before he left for the peace corps and got a 37 on the MCAT. HE wants to enter med school for fall and there is no school that will take him becuase all of the deadlines are passed. He is planning on going applying to SGU for the 2005 or jan 2006 term. He said that if he doesnt get in he will go to cullinary school. He is one of those really smart people who just kind of floats through life and does whatever the hell he wants to. I totally envy him!! :)

berkeleyboy said:
43?! You must be kidding. :eek:

I mean I know there's a good handful or so of SDNers who've posted that they scored a 43, but I'd be shocked to hear one's at SGU.

And I'm not knocking SGU, my best friend goes there. :) He's an M2 with a 4.0 science gpa, but a sole B in some non-science course. He doesn't know his rank, but I take it he's in pretty good shape so far. Not bad for someone with a 3.1 cume/3.0 gpa/30 MCAT coming out of undergrad! :D I'm wishing him luck for the USMLE Step I this Summer...

Anyway, I'm just shocked!

Phil Anthropist said:
43?! You must be kidding. :eek:

I mean I know there's a good handful or so of SDNers who've posted that they scored a 43, but I'd be shocked to hear one's at SGU.

And I'm not knocking SGU, my best friend goes there. :) He's an M2 with a 4.0 science gpa, but a sole B in some non-science course. He doesn't know his rank, but I take it he's in pretty good shape so far. Not bad for someone with a 3.1 cume/3.0 gpa/30 MCAT coming out of undergrad! :D I'm wishing him luck for the USMLE Step I this Summer...

Anyway, I'm just shocked!

I shi* you not guys. The 43 is real. This is not someone who I heard from someone who heard from someone else. SHE is a good friend of mine. Do not be shocked by the how intelligent some people are at sgu. Everyone goes down to SGU (myself included) thinking that everyone else there is somewhat average and somehow they are special and they're going to be in the top of their class. I'd say about 1/3 of the class of extremely bright and works hard on top of that. To give you a little perspective, I never studied in undergrad at all...except for my last year when I finally decided to apply myself. I graduated undergrad with a 3.2 gpa, took the mcat once, got a 30 went to sgu and I worked my ass off to stay ranked in top 10%. Sure I took days off, but on average, I studied basically everyday 12-14 hours day for 2 years minus vacation. And there are a lot of people like me down there, not the brightest but def. work really hard. I know now, if I studied in undergrad I would of easily had at least a 3.7 gpa...prolly would of went to a US school. There are a ton of stories at sgu just like mine. Intelligence does not = a good gpa. HArd work does. period.