medical school grades/boards for GI?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

xenophila

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Im a third year med student at US allopathic school in DC and am wondering how are step1 and 2 scores factored into decision making for Gi interviews if at all? I have a 223 step 1 taking step 2 next year... from the chatter i have heard from IM forum is that step 1 is looked at... is that true? I don't see the correlation of just 2 years of medical school and taking step 1 vs 7 years being in medicine even with just mediocre grades/boards and why step 1 would matter.
So before I apply and go into IM (i really don't want to be stuck in IM)... I was wondering how competitive is GI and what would I need to do in residency or even now to increase my chances??

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

GI is very competitive. Probably the most competitive field in Internal Medicine. And yes, GI programs do look at Step scores, including Step I. Study hard for Step II and III and improve your score and do well in your Internal Medicine residency. Make sure to get to know the GI faculty at your residency and get involved in research during residency. I had the exact same score as you on my Step I and I just matched into a GI fellowship at a large university program. Even though GI is competitive, don't think it is unreachable just because you had an average score on Step I. Good luck!

Hello,

Im a third year med student at US allopathic school in DC and am wondering how are step1 and 2 scores factored into decision making for Gi interviews if at all? I have a 223 step 1 taking step 2 next year... from the chatter i have heard from IM forum is that step 1 is looked at... is that true? I don't see the correlation of just 2 years of medical school and taking step 1 vs 7 years being in medicine even with just mediocre grades/boards and why step 1 would matter.
So before I apply and go into IM (i really don't want to be stuck in IM)... I was wondering how competitive is GI and what would I need to do in residency or even now to increase my chances??

Thanks

GI is getting competitive every year. I just matched last week. There were 695 applicants in this year's match. In comparison, this number was in the low 600s a few years back. By the time you apply, it'll likely be in the mid to high 700s.

All USMLE scores are important - 1, 2, and 3. Steps 1 and 3 are most often used more screening. Some programs will screen based on step 1 before invites go out, because they know people study the hardest for this test. However, other programs screen by step 3 because it's the most recent score. All the USMLE tests are important, and definitely do not be misled that step 3 is not important.

Grades are also very important. A lot of candidates will ask why medical school grades matter. The answer is really simple. They help differentiate the candidates. A fail in any course in medical school will be a red flag, for example. There are so many qualified and good candidates to take that any red flag will eliminate you.

Members don't see this ad :)
All USMLE scores are important - 1, 2, and 3. Steps 1 and 3 are most often used more screening. Some programs will screen based on step 1 before invites go out, because they know people study the hardest for this test. However, other programs screen by step 3 because it's the most recent score. All the USMLE tests are important, and definitely do not be misled that step 3 is not important.

Because of this, should DOs who matched into ACGME residencies take the USMLE step 3 as well?

Because of this, should DOs who matched into ACGME residencies take the USMLE step 3 as well?

No it serves no purpose unless you either a) bomb it or b) ace it. I only submitted COMLEX scores in my application and matched into a major university program. It's not easy, but don't get hung up on your step exams. There are far more important pieces of the application than that.

I didn't realize Step 3 was not a pass-fail test...