Medical School in Cuba

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
If you go down there and attend school you are tacitly saying that you approve of the Cuban government.

By that logic, anyone who entered medical school between January 20, 2001 and January 20, 2008 at any institution that receives funds from the US federal government tacitly approves of the Iraq war, torturing prisoners, the global gag rule, the death penalty, and tax cuts. The same could be said of anyone receiving federal educational loans.

With all due respect to the OP, if your intent is to practice in the United States (which I assume it is, but if not please clarify), then why would you want to go through the extra stress of going to Cuba? Granted, they may have great doctors, but you can get a very good education in the United States. The majority of med school will not be what you are told in lecture but what you end up learning by yourself with your notes and books.

Members don't see this ad.

Ideally, I would prefer to practice in the EU not that I would not want to practice in the US my preference is to go abroad. in addition, I am not sure about my chances of gettting into medical school in the US so at least with Cuba, I still have the possibility to go to medical school and come out debt free and become a fluent Spanish speaker. I am trying to assess Cuban life before I eagerly pack up and enter the program. I also wanted to get the perspective from other upcoming physicians regarding their medcial school experiences abroad particularly Cuba.

So let me get this straight. You want to go to Cuba, to take advantage of "their system" and get a free education, and then go and practice medicine in Europe, because that's what you like?

Wow...I think that says a lot about you, buddy. Have some dignity and get some loans and pay your education if you want to practice medicine here or in europe. And If you want to get schooling for free, have the decency of staying in Cuba for 5 years and giving those people back what you are so willingly taking from them.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you want to practice in the EU, I'd think that going to school in the EU would be your best option, but unless you have dual citizenship with an EU country that will probably be impossible. There are Irish med schools that take US students, which you could probably get in, but these I think cost a lot of money...also I'm not sure if they are republic of Ireland vs. the British/northern part of Ireland and I don't know if those particular schools offer access to EU residencies. There are med schools in Poland that take US students, but I don't know how good the quality of the "English language" programs there is...these seem to be separate from the regular Polish med schools. I also don't know if a degree from there would get you access to EU residencies.

Before you jump into applying to any med school, you'd better find out if there are any reliable paths for a US citizen to get to practice medicine in the EU. From what I know of it, the EU is not like the US (which accepts a lot of foreign trained docs) and tends to reserve residency spots for EU citizens.

I agree that if you want to go to school for free in Cuba, you'd better be ready to pay Cuba back by working for them for free...it's only fair, right?

So let me get this straight. You want to go to Cuba, to take advantage of "their system" and get a free education, and then go and practice medicine in Europe, because that's what you like?

Wow...I think that says a lot about you, buddy.
It does say a lot about me, before judging me, maybe you should have asked about the program and why I want to practice in Europe. The program is actually a 6-7 year program and the only requirement after completing the program is that I work in underserved communities. Those are only some of the details if you have additional questions about the entire program let me know.

No judgement passed here. Just stating a fact. Europe does not seem to be a region where "underserved communities" are out of control lacking medical care. It is just the opposite. Europe is the region where medical care is most evenly distributed (as inefficiently as it is) on this planet.

And yes, Spanish is going to be very helpful in Europe. Nice try.

I personally think ELAM is a terrific program in Cuba. Not only is the education free but very good as well. The average of the people that graduated and took the USMLE is higher than the national average. So, the board scores speak for themselves. Also, in Cuba, there is an emphasis on family practice. So the true purpose of the scholarship is for people living in countries throughout the western hemisphere can afford a high quality education, and practice in those underserved communities. In the US, many, many areas need help, but the problem is that most doctors graduating med schools have so many loans to pay off that they cannot afford to take a lower pay to give back to certain communities. The purpose of ELAM is to facilitate this. Go to the program if this is your true purpose and ideal. I think it is a great mission. Regardless of politics, this program has produced real results. Many people from other Latin American countries in South and Central America have graduated from ELAM and have practiced in those communities.

Always the politics are debatable. But the decision whether to go study medicine in Cuba should NOT be based on this. In terms of the dorms, there are several videos on youtube taken by students, I guess. Just type in ELAM and search. Through viewing the videos, the facilities look perfectly fine to me and it is right on the beach! Yes, you will not have the luxuries of a major city in the US, but you are not there for that. I think the facilities / dorm is perfectly fine for studying.

You will get a high quality education over there, guaranteed! The hardest thing will be developing Spanish ability, and very quickly. If you had some in high school or college, you are at least off on the right track. I had three years of Spanish in high school and one in college and I can understand most videos in Spanish, although I cannot speak back as well as I should. The hardest adjustment will be speaking. You will need to start thinking and speaking in Spanish, rather than reverting to English. I went to France for a week, and started to feel more comfortbale there after a few days. I think it is doable though for sure.

cdpiano27,

Are you on ELAM's payroll? I am just curious. I am astonished at the misinformation.

The average of the people that graduated and took the USMLE is higher than the national average. So, the board scores speak for themselves.
I wonder where you are getting this info from ( and i hope not from the school itself). First of all, there are very few american students there, so it makes no sense speaking about "averages". Second of all, most students are unable to pass their licensing exams when they get to their country of origin ( I can name you three countries in particular where the medical boards have made that information available)

Medical education in Cuba has dramatically suffered in the last two decades. Most of the courses are being taught now by TELEVISION RECORDINGS and being PROCTORED by senior students including introduction to clinical specialties (not just basic sciences) If to you that is quality MEDICAL education, then that is a different story. However, things are reaching the point of critical mass now as international accrediting bodies are finding out about the situation.

I lived in Cuba for 2 years I'm british and live in England. I went to Cuba when I was twelve and came back when I was fourteen, I went to a normal cuban school Felipe Poey and learnt the cuban culture and their language- spanish from scratch. I have no ties to the island apart from my own experience. When I say their education is one of the best you better believe it. As a communist country blockaded and blacklisted by the US what goes on there is not publicized properly nor as much as it should be. Put it this way you need to see it to believe it. They have a beautiful culture and way of life. People need to remember by rights as a very very poor country the people should be uneducated, have poor health statistics and limited education access. To defy all of this do you still believe Cuba is a place to be underestimated? I think not.

To those who are clearly in the in dark about Cuba's health care you need to watch the Docu-movie Sicko its available to watch online... just to let you kno it was produced by an American.

Oh and I'll be applying to Cuban med school too. It would be an honour if I was accepted.

Si tienes preguntas por favor dimé I believe its time somebody set the record straight.

^^^ Please, you are the most obvious plant that I have ever seen:

Education best?? - Just today, the Minister of Educacion Superior announced that students will have to take entrance exams because of the dismal knowledge and lack of preparation that the students are showing after they finish the university.

Beautiful culture and a way of life ?? Yes - most cubans are choosing NOT to go to college because they can not find jobs when they finish and because they make much more money ( in US dollars and Euros ) by prostituting themselves or y working in the tourism industry getting tips. Those are the few who are choosing not to go into EXILE

Sicko a reflection of Cuban life?? PLEAASE....the documentary was made to discredit the Bush administration by the rabid liberal Michael Moore. Only a cuban government official or a lunatic would make the assertion that you made.

Clearly, you just made your PROFILE and your FIRST post to troll. That's all we need now. Trolling cuban government officials or sympathizers.. YIKES

BrainBuff, If youre Cuban and have lived in Cuba I can respect your Statements and "opinions" about life in Cuba. I've lived there for 7 years, was trained there and unless you've done that..you can't speak for those of US (from the United States) who have Successfully Completed this program. I just recently graduated from the ELAM program recieving my MD..Loan free.. and will be applying for Residency next year.

Yo se que la vida alla no es facil pero te lo juro que lo que yo aprendi en Cuba no se aprende en ningun lado..no solamente estoy hablando de la medicina..

As was stated information about the program can be found on
www.ifconews.org

and if you have specific questions about the program (for those seriously applying) you can PM me

Ciao

To those who are clearly in the in dark about Cuba's health care you need to watch the Docu-movie Sicko its available to watch online... just to let you kno it was produced by an American.

I suggest you do some research on Michael Moore before using one of his movies to back up your beliefs. He is notorious for splicing/editing large portions of his movies to get the viewer to see his side of a particular issue. In fact it is fairly common knowledge that he has deliberately mislead viewers in some of his movies (Roger and Me, Bowling for Columbine and Fahrenheit 9/11 come to mind). I say this as someone with liberal leaning tendencies - use his movies for purely entertainment purposes only, don't put a whole lot of stock or belief into what you see.

Hi imperfection

I know it's been a while since you made that post, but have you made any progress or at least research on the med school in Cuba? A friend of mine recently gave me the idea of going there instead of one of the schools here in Texas. I am only starting my second year of undergrad and still at community college. But I am wondering about how to get more connections with people who are involved with this school and what the application process is.

Members don't see this ad :)
hi lostintx ( i lived in tx a couple of years):)

I would also like to know those answers because I am researching about attending cuba for medical school.

I am also currently planning on taking some pre req med course via cc ( to complete my BA).

artisticmd could probably answer some of your questions about application and personal experience, if you pm him.

EDIT:
Please take a look at therealcuba.com for innumerable graphic photos of Cubans reality ( top secret)

I don't not have any political agenda as you can read I was planning on going to cuba for medical school and had high expectations of their healthcare system.

For those of you that have been there please shed some light on this situation and research both sides of the situation with an open mind.

-vivian

Last edited:
Just crazy.

Forget the politics, why on earth would you want to go to medical school in Cuba.
Just some quotes from wiki (has never let me down),

"The US dorm is 2 stories, students sleep on bunk beds in rooms of 5 to 20 students depending on if the room is filled to capacity. The diet in the cafeteria mainly consists of rice, beans, and bread, with the main course varied from ground soy, rice mixed with shredded chicken or pork"

" Cuba has provided state subsidized education to a limited number of foreign nationals at the Latin American School of Medicine.[154][155] Internet access is limited.[156] The sale of computer equipment is strictly regulated. Internet access is controlled, and e-mail is closely monitored.[92]"

I find it funny that all the local Cubans will jump on anything including tires to get out of Cuba, but completely sane, well off foreigners would like to take jet and study medicine there.

You can be humble, I will stick with a shiny Americanized university.

My spanish is not adequate, I think for Cuba. Never mind the cuban doctors here recommend it for training.

I live in Trinidad, by the way.

So relative to life here, it can't be that bad. accustomed to the tropical island thing.

My spanish is not adequate, I think for Cuba. Never mind the cuban doctors here recommend it for training.

I live in Trinidad, by the way.

So relative to life here, it can't be that bad. accustomed to the tropical island thing.

I have heard both sides. I have read reports that say life in general is good in Cuba. Then you read the other accounts that it is not so good. Without myself having been there, it is hard for me to accurately portray it one way or another, I just have to go by what I read. I too wonder how it compares to life on other Caribbean islands.

With that being said, I see no advantage for going to medical school in Cuba vs other places. I would not recommend it.

Where did you get that? Where did you get that tens of millions of US citizens get worse healthcare than the "poorest citizen in Cuba" ? Did you get it from the Michael Moore movie, White Girl born in California?

She probably gets her information from one of tens of millions of Americans like myself striving to improve the system while stuck in it. I have been a uninsured american since the day i turned 18! I have to keep myself as healthy as possible in order to not have to visit the hospital because I can not afford the bills. For you to say that we get the best healthcare makes me think you come from a background of privileged life; meaning you do not understand the struggle many Americans face EVERYDAY. This is the problem with our system; most medical personnel in this country come from ivy league families so there is a HUGE disconnect with the medically underserved, hence your ideaology regarding this country as you have been blind folded by your own ignorance and that of those around you. How many Dr's in this country come from poverty vs those from families with money? How many from poverty are given the slightest chance to even attend medical school in this country? Most go into med school (and various other grad schools) because family are Dr's or alum (aka easy way in) and they have something to live up to without real care for the patient but more so the payoff. Why do you think so many US curriculum's are comprised of various forms empathy and sympathy learning? When you have PASSION for what you are doing you don't need to learn these things they come natural.

I have been to other countries, spoken to other Dr's, have friends there as well who I frequently speak with in comparison to our system to see where there is lack of improvement. I just do not understand how people are not seeing the overall issue here, its not that it can not be provided there is more money made off not providing relevant health services for our citizens and THAT IS UN-AMERICAN! Not only am I medical student but currently work within the clinical spectrum and see everyday the effects of inaccessible healthcare. People are dying because they can not afford another 2000K bill for an ER visit on top of student loans, rent, kids, debt, etc so instead of getting the care that should be free they never get checked. People are losing homes because family members get sick and they can no longer afford to pay! Instead of making things accessible we shut people out and dangle life above their heads for a paycheck. Your right, Dr's come here from other countries for a good reason, you do know how our health system works correct? Ask yourself this, in what country do Dr's get paid more in?

So if you want facts you just got it from the source, would you like me to bring on the other tens of thousands struggling to make it through or have you gotten the point. People like yourself are why I wake everyday and say "I will, I can, and there is NOTHING that will stop me!" because people deserve healthcare as a basic human right not something that can be bid upon whether or not to provide because of means of payment. I should NOT be left in a ER for 30 mins with an upper resp issue while someone with insurance is admitted promptly. I should not have to worry about whether my mother or grandmother will be able to afford the needed medicines to keep them alive! If you do not see the problem in this country you my friend need to evaluate your career choices and STAT! We need more physicians with frank intent of improvement of preventative care, more physicians that do not just take the OATH but live by it, more physicians that care about quality over quantity, I mean I can go on for days seeing as though I LIVE THIS EVERYDAY. But to sit here and open your mouth with such sarcasm towards a factual event in this countries time line effecting majority of its citizens lets me know what sort of quality you will have.

There are problems with the US health care system, to be sure.
However, bailing out to go to medical school in a foreign country I don't see as being a good solution to those problems.
There are programs in the US that aim to recruit underrepresented students into med school, and there are quite a few scholarships for people who want to do primary care.
One of the problems with going to med school in a foreign country is that if you want to practice in the US, you need to learn how to take care of patients in US hospitals and clinics, and that includes, for example, being able to use an electronic medical record/computerized medical chart to help your patient and take care of your patient.

Idealism is good, but you should not blindly believe that some other country's medical system is perfect and will provide all the answers to the problems with health care in our country.

Yes, medical care is too darned expensive in the US. "Best" is always a relative term. We do have the "best" of certain things, like perhaps the best medical research and some of the best technology. We just don't always propagate or apply this "best" stuff as well as would be ideal.

morning to all ,i am an 18 years old girl and i wanted to know if anyone had informations on how to obtain an admissions into a medical school in cuba that has nothing to do with scholarship and if it can be done online so that in my country i can ask for a students visa

I lived in Cuba for 2 years I'm british and live in England. I went to Cuba when I was twelve and came back when I was fourteen, I went to a normal cuban school Felipe Poey and learnt the cuban culture and their language- spanish from scratch. I have no ties to the island apart from my own experience. When I say their education is one of the best you better believe it. As a communist country blockaded and blacklisted by the US what goes on there is not publicized properly nor as much as it should be. Put it this way you need to see it to believe it. They have a beautiful culture and way of life. People need to remember by rights as a very very poor country the people should be uneducated, have poor health statistics and limited education access. To defy all of this do you still believe Cuba is a place to be underestimated? I think not.

Oh and I'll be applying to Cuban med school too. It would be an honour if I was accepted.

Si tienes preguntas por favor dimé I believe its time somebody set the record straight.
Hello!!

My name is Kayt and I am just wondering if you ever got in to ELAM and how things might be going for you?! I am applying this year and would love any advice you are willing to give!???

When was the last time that Cuba was on the news for a significant healthcare discovery?
Once again, go there and be happy. You will be a "doctor" in Cuba in no time.
http://www.yesmagazine.org/issues/l...ngitis-b-cubas-got-the-vaccine2014why-dont-we
And many more... they have one of the largest pharmaceutical research companies in the developing world. They were the first country to develop a meningitis (B) vaccination and offered it to the U.S. who rejected it because of the embargo.

cdpiano27,

Are you on ELAM's payroll? I am just curious. I am astonished at the misinformation.

I wonder where you are getting this info from ( and i hope not from the school itself). First of all, there are very few american students there, so it makes no sense speaking about "averages". Second of all, most students are unable to pass their licensing exams when they get to their country of origin ( I can name you three countries in particular where the medical boards have made that information available)

Medical education in Cuba has dramatically suffered in the last two decades. Most of the courses are being taught now by TELEVISION RECORDINGS and being PROCTORED by senior students including introduction to clinical specialties (not just basic sciences) If to you that is quality MEDICAL education, then that is a different story. However, things are reaching the point of critical mass now as international accrediting bodies are finding out about the situation.

I sincerely hope you never became a doctor. The redundancies in your logic are frightening. How is it that you criticize people for providing misinformation (which is untrue, I have done extensive research on Cuban health care and ELAM) when you don't provide any sources for your (incorrect) analysis of ELAM. I know this post is old, but the ridiculous claims in this thread linger on the internet and should not discourage potential applicants from getting pretty much the same education you'd get at a middle tier US med school.

I sincerely hope you never became a doctor. The redundancies in your logic are frightening. How is it that you criticize people for providing misinformation (which is untrue, I have done extensive research on Cuban health care and ELAM) when you don't provide any sources for your (incorrect) analysis of ELAM. I know this post is old, but the ridiculous claims in this thread linger on the internet and should not discourage potential applicants from getting pretty much the same education you'd get at a middle tier US med school.

Well, you hoped wrong. I had the privilege to attend one of the top medical schools in the country.....and also matched at a top residency program as well. Apparently, the redundancies of my logic worked out pretty well. But to the serious posters in here, my knowledge of cuban healthcare and ELAM comes from a first hand experience and those serious posters who are really interested may feel free to PM me.

Path2ArmyDoc, you are definitely in "someone's" payroll. Good luck with your propaganda.