Medical school in UK or France?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

hopscotchhippo

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi everyone!

Here's my situation:

I graduated from uni in 2008 and have been taking prereqs to apply to medical school since then. Having spent the last year living in Cambodia, I'm ultimately not very interested in living in the US. My goal is to work in the developing world or Europe - maybe both?

I'm quite interested in attending medical school in Europe, namely the UK or France (yes, I speak French). I've tried to find information on this but am having a tough time finding much regarding options for those of us who already have an undergraduate degree.

Does anyone have any insight or recommendations of where to look for info?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Don't have any experience with the UK or France but if you speak French, why not consider Belgium? The French-speaking medical schools in Belgium seem to be less competitive than French ones, and the opportunities after graduation are just as good if not better as in France.

Hi everyone!

Here's my situation:

I graduated from uni in 2008 and have been taking prereqs to apply to medical school since then. Having spent the last year living in Cambodia, I'm ultimately not very interested in living in the US. My goal is to work in the developing world or Europe - maybe both?

I'm quite interested in attending medical school in Europe, namely the UK or France (yes, I speak French). I've tried to find information on this but am having a tough time finding much regarding options for those of us who already have an undergraduate degree.

Does anyone have any insight or recommendations of where to look for info?

Thanks!

If you are interested in the UK, you need to apply through UCAS. Did you do A-levels or IB in high school? Did you do a science degree in uni and earn at least a upper 2nd class or equivalent (GPA 3.6+)? If yes to 1st, then you might be able to apply to a standard 5/6 year program. If yes to 2nd, then you are eligible to apply for GEM which is 4 years.

Either way, you need health care experience, volunteering/shadowing and you need to write various medical tests depending on which program type and which school you apply to. Some require UKCAT, some BMAT, some have other graduate entry medical tests.

Its very difficult to get in if you are not a UK resident because you are limited to specific quotas. However, if you have very amazing grades, you can apply. If not, don't bother, its a difficult process and internationals need to be at a higher standard than home students and home student standards are already very high.