Medical School Interview Attire--Shoes for those with feet issues

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MarryMeQueen

Reaction score
Hello!

I am rather new to SDN, so please forgive me if I have posted this on the wrong channel. I am currently applying for the 2021-2022 application cycle and worried about shoes for interviews (I know it's early, but I need to make sure I have the correct shoes in time). I have terrible feet and always have. I have the beginnings of a Morton's Neuroma, collapsing arches, really flat feet, and widely splayed toes. Every time an orthopedic surgeon sees my foot X-rays, he visibly cringes. I have terrible feet. I have custom made orthotics that I have to wear with every shoe even when I am just standing to avoid pain. I cannot wear heels, and I cannot wear shoes with a narrow toe. Usually, I have been able to wear some Mary Janes with a thick sole for interviews, but this particular pair is too old, and I am worried that a shoe with too thick of a sole would be considered too casual for a medical school interview.

Right now, I am looking into trying to find some "women's lace up" shoes very similar in design to Oxfords. These would be tall enough to fit my orthotics and comfortable to wear walking around the university. I also wouldn't mind wearing loafers but don't know if Oxfords or loafers would be fancy enough to wear with a skirt suit. I can wear low pumps (1" or less) if that would help. I don't know very much about fashion (what is secretly acceptable and what isn't) but the current recommendations to just wear black dress shoes are not specific enough to address my concerns. I don't want to stand out for looking unusual, but I also need shoes that will be comfortable enough for me to wear for these long walking tours. Also, many low cut shoes give me blisters if the material is too stiff (even after wearing them in), and I would prefer not to wear band-aids around the entire top circumference of my feet.

Here are some shoes that did not work:
shoes that don't work.png

Here are the looks of "women's lace up" shoes that I am considering buying (if I can find it in black). Are these okay with a skirt?
comfy lace ups.png

Here are some Mary Janes that I am worried are not dressy enough.
mary janes.png

I know this is a lot of information, but I wanted to relay how concerned I am about not standing out and being comfortable during the long walking tours. Thanks to all who have read this far. Specific shoe recommendations would be great!

On a separate note, are brown suits with brown shoes acceptable?

Thank you so much for your time and help!

Members don't see this ad.

I attended a few Harvard Medical School's webinars in the past few months. Apparently, a student last winter slipped on snow and fell on the interview day. So, that's something you can consider!

Not a current applicant so sorry if I'm out of touch - are any schools actually planning to do in person interviews this year? Maybe in the spring if things ease up, but as far as I've heard a lot of schools are prepping for a fully virtual cycle. If that's the case, shoes are going to be totally unimportant, which would be a good thing for you.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Almost all schools are virtual (ARCOM is the one I've heard that is doing in person). Many schools have said that they will conduct virtual interviews for the entire cycle, regardless of what happens with COVID-19. Presumably out of fairness for applicants?

For those schools having in person interviews, the following will be the best choice.
81B81dsL1FL._SL1500_.jpg

Reactions: 4 users
Hopefully, everything is online and this won't matter, but I think the Mary Janes will blend in more than the lace ups. The second pair looks more casual than the first. The strap is a little off but honestly, I think caring about the strap is nearing neurotic. Go with mary janes #1

Reactions: 1 users
Hopefully, everything is online and this won't matter, but I think the Mary Janes will blend in more than the lace ups. The second pair looks more casual than the first. The strap is a little off but honestly, I think caring about the strap is nearing neurotic. Go with mary janes #1

Thank you! Yes, you are probably right about bordering neurotic.

No one is going to see your feet this year.
Well don’t speak too soon. She could stick her feet in the camera mid-interview. But yeah that’ll be an R (unless your interviewer has a thing for feet...;))

Hello!

I am rather new to SDN, so please forgive me if I have posted this on the wrong channel. I am currently applying for the 2021-2022 application cycle and worried about shoes for interviews (I know it's early, but I need to make sure I have the correct shoes in time). I have terrible feet and always have. I have the beginnings of a Morton's Neuroma, collapsing arches, really flat feet, and widely splayed toes. Every time an orthopedic surgeon sees my foot X-rays, he visibly cringes. I have terrible feet. I have custom made orthotics that I have to wear with every shoe even when I am just standing to avoid pain. I cannot wear heels, and I cannot wear shoes with a narrow toe. Usually, I have been able to wear some Mary Janes with a thick sole for interviews, but this particular pair is too old, and I am worried that a shoe with too thick of a sole would be considered too casual for a medical school interview.

Right now, I am looking into trying to find some "women's lace up" shoes very similar in design to Oxfords. These would be tall enough to fit my orthotics and comfortable to wear walking around the university. I also wouldn't mind wearing loafers but don't know if Oxfords or loafers would be fancy enough to wear with a skirt suit. I can wear low pumps (1" or less) if that would help. I don't know very much about fashion (what is secretly acceptable and what isn't) but the current recommendations to just wear black dress shoes are not specific enough to address my concerns. I don't want to stand out for looking unusual, but I also need shoes that will be comfortable enough for me to wear for these long walking tours. Also, many low cut shoes give me blisters if the material is too stiff (even after wearing them in), and I would prefer not to wear band-aids around the entire top circumference of my feet.

Here are some shoes that did not work:
View attachment 315320
Here are the looks of "women's lace up" shoes that I am considering buying (if I can find it in black). Are these okay with a skirt?
View attachment 315321

Here are some Mary Janes that I am worried are not dressy enough.
View attachment 315322

I know this is a lot of information, but I wanted to relay how concerned I am about not standing out and being comfortable during the long walking tours. Thanks to all who have read this far. Specific shoe recommendations would be great!

On a separate note, are brown suits with brown shoes acceptable?

Thank you so much for your time and help!
Two shoe companies that have good shoes for a wide forefoot:
Hotter Shoes Ladies Shoes Online | Comfortable Womens Shoes & Boots US wide fit is pretty wide compared to most US women's shoes, but there is also Extra-wide.
Clarks shoes: their Wide fit is great and very comfortable for long days of walking, this is my favorite for wear with slacks Un Damson Adele Black Leather - Clarks® Shoes Official Site | Clarks

Reactions: 3 users
If you need them for the future tho, I second the Clarks recommendation.

Also strongly recommend Aerosoles- they're designed to support your feet and have a few more style/color options.