Will med schools accept lower grades for medical reasons?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

podc

Reaction score
Just a disclaimer that I know this is not the end of the world but will accept if people label me as a gunner for this--it looks likely that I'll be getting 2 A-s in science classes this semester because of an ongoing neurological issue that has made it difficult to concentrate in the end of the semester. The issue seems to be fine and isn't something to worry about long term, but I have gotten straight As for the past few semesters. I know it would be too much to ask the med schools treat them as As, but would my condition make med schools gloss over these two classes? Would it make an impact on how they look at the resulting GPA? (These two A-s could make the difference between a 3.9+ and a high 3.8 both sgpa and cgpa-wise).

Members don't see this ad.

Both a high 3.8 and low 3.9 are good enough for 99% of medical schools and it doesn't drop your GPA significantly so you should be fine. You'll be fine, and just make sure to continue to put in the same effort next semester.

Reactions: 1 user
Both a high 3.8 and low 3.9 are good enough for 99% of medical schools and it doesn't drop your GPA significantly so you should be fine. You'll be fine, and just make sure to continue to put in the same effort next semester.
I am aware that my gpa is already high enough to get in and am thankful to have performed so well so far. However, as an orm, the difference between a 3.8 and 3.9 does make me rethink how many top med schools I should apply to if they don't take my concentration issues into account.

Members don't see this ad :)
I am aware that my gpa is already high enough to get in and am thankful to have performed so well so far. However, as an orm, the difference between a 3.8 and 3.9 does make me rethink how many top med schools I should apply to if they don't take my concentration issues into account.
An A- grade is not a negative, so don't draw attention to it , makes you look whiny.

Reactions: 6 users
An A- grade is not a negative, so don't draw attention to it , makes you look whiny.
I'm more concerned about the difference between a 3.8 and 3.9 (sorry if it doesn't actually matter, I'm not that familiar with the process) and the fact that I have this dip in performance. Are you saying to just not explain it at all?

I'm more concerned about the difference between a 3.8 and 3.9 (sorry if it doesn't actually matter, I'm not that familiar with the process) and the fact that I have this dip in performance. Are you saying to just not explain it at all?
Yes. A to A- is not a dip. Move on.

Reactions: 2 users
If your concern is not getting into "top medical schools" and worrying around a 3.9/3.85ish GPA, I think your concern is in the wrong place. Even as an ORM, more schools are going to care about your EC's, writing, and the experiences you accumulated rather than a 0.05 difference in your GPA. Also a "dip" in your GPA is going from a 3.9 to a 3.2, a number that's staggeringly different, rather than a tiny amount that you're scrutinizing currently; this is what people call being neurotic. It's not a big deal, you'll be fine and just focus on your future academic endeavors.

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
There is no difference between a 3.8 and 3.9

Perfection is the enemy of good.

Adcoms dislike perfectionists.

Reactions: 1 users