You are using an out of date browser. It may not display this or other websites correctly.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
You should upgrade or use an alternative browser.
Medical School Interview Photo Appropriateness
Started by PsychoPass987
Get help with your application
Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.
It's probably best to avoid a grad picture, or at least get one without the cap. Think like a passport type photo. I just had my SO take a picture of me from shoulders up in our living room in front of a bare section of wall (it's like taupe, or light brown). No schools had a problem with it at all, that I'm aware of
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=passport photo app
Find a friend and use your cellphone. Just take a good photo now and save time.
Find a friend and use your cellphone. Just take a good photo now and save time.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
One UC I applied to sent me an II and then asked for a neutral-expression photo taken against a white background--within the last six months.
I was in the rural Guatemalan highlands at the time. All my clothing was pretty much in rags by that point, and I had no make up. Washed my hair, brushed my teeth, and sent a photo of myself in my torn t-shirt. Result: accepted.
They just want to be able to recognize you when you show up.
I was in the rural Guatemalan highlands at the time. All my clothing was pretty much in rags by that point, and I had no make up. Washed my hair, brushed my teeth, and sent a photo of myself in my torn t-shirt. Result: accepted.
They just want to be able to recognize you when you show up.
%20graduation%20portrait&imgrc=7ZcYWk54-ZlDLM%3A
Would graduation portrait like these be sufficient?
Would graduation portrait like these be sufficient?
One UC I applied to sent me an II and then asked for a neutral-expression photo taken against a white background--within the last six months.
I was in the rural Guatemalan highlands at the time. All my clothing was pretty much in rags by that point, and I had no make up. Washed my hair, brushed my teeth, and sent a photo of myself in my torn t-shirt. Result: accepted.
They just want to be able to recognize you when you show up.
This sounds more reassuring, although I want to look a bit nicer. 🙂
https://www.google.com/webhp?sourceid=chrome-instant&ion=1&espv=2&ie=UTF-8#q=passport photo app
Find a friend and use your cellphone. Just take a good photo now and save time.
Thanks for the information. Out of curiosity, do you know if adcoms have ever rejected or waitlisted students post-interview simply because the photo wasn't professional enough?
Thanks for the information. Out of curiosity, do you know if adcoms have ever rejected or waitlisted students post-interview simply because the photo wasn't professional enough?
As I have often said on here, would that make any sense for a school to lose out on an otherwise good applicant because a photo wasn't professional enough? 😛 If it doesn't make sense, it probably isn't true!
I've never heard of it. We use it to remember who you are, not much else. I mean if you had some ridiculous photo of you, I'm sure it could affect things, but that is more by your choice of photo rather than what you are actually doing.
This is not a passport picture where a neutral expression is required. Please smile. I have had applicants who were evaluated at interview as being dour or humorless and someone will say, "let's see their picture" and if the photo is someone with a negative expression on their face, the outlook is not good for that applicant whereas, at that point, a photo showing someone with a cheerful expression might have helped.
Knock em dead. 🙂This sounds more reassuring, although I want to look a bit nicer. 🙂
If you are chair, board or member or any med related club in college, chances are they will do some kind of photo shoot with you in shirt and tie. If you have shadowed any physicians, you would also most likely be in suit and tie so just ask the medical assistant to snap a photo of you. If not, put on a lab coat from your research lab or something and ask your PI to take it for you? There are tons of ways to get it, just don't take a selfie lol.When you receive an II, you have to upload a photo of yourself. Would a graduation photo (cap and gown) be considered appropriate? I'm trying to find a good professional photo of myself from my collection of pictures...
![]()
this kind of pic is perfect too, shows med schools your face and height 😏
And that you would have a ridiculously good looking mugshot...
You haven't seen the photos I've seen!As I have often said on here, would that make any sense for a school to lose out on an otherwise good applicant because a photo wasn't professional enough? 😛 If it doesn't make sense, it probably isn't true!
I've never heard of it. We use it to remember who you are, not much else. I mean if you had some ridiculous photo of you, I'm sure it could affect things, but that is more by your choice of photo rather than what you are actually doing.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Oh do tell!You haven't seen the photos I've seen!
Nope - go to CVS and take a passport like photo in a solid color shirt. That's what they wantWhen you receive an II, you have to upload a photo of yourself. Would a graduation photo (cap and gown) be considered appropriate? I'm trying to find a good professional photo of myself from my collection of pictures...
Briefly: nude, in Halloween costumes, group pics (without any indication which is the applicant), Tinder fodder, mug shots, uncombed/unshaven selfies while driving...Oh do tell!
hahahaha, bet you had fun!Briefly: nude, in Halloween costumes, group pics (without any indication which is the applicant), Tinder fodder, mug shots, uncombed/unshaven selfies while driving...
Briefly: nude, in Halloween costumes, group pics (without any indication which is the applicant), Tinder fodder, mug shots, uncombed/unshaven selfies while driving...
😱
How will he get that coveted acceptance letter without first giving out free tickets to the gun show am I right?Briefly: nude, in Halloween costumes, group pics (without any indication which is the applicant), Tinder fodder, mug shots, uncombed/unshaven selfies while driving...
How you present yourself tells us a lot about you.
My go to photo of myself for whenever I have to submit one for something (scholarship recipient columns, profile pictures, applications, etc) is one that was taken semi-professionally of me kneeling next to a small snail statue in a park. I've been told on many occasions (including by one adcom member) that it's a great picture because it looks nice, the colors are bright, and I look cheerful. I've been told that it is eye catching and memorable (in a good way) which works in my favor. I think there can be a subtle difference between a photo that doesn't hurt you and a photo that draws the eye.
My go to photo of myself for whenever I have to submit one for something (scholarship recipient columns, profile pictures, applications, etc) is one that was taken semi-professionally of me kneeling next to a small snail statue in a park. I've been told on many occasions (including by one adcom member) that it's a great picture because it looks nice, the colors are bright, and I look cheerful. I've been told that it is eye catching and memorable (in a good way) which works in my favor. I think there can be a subtle difference between a photo that doesn't hurt you and a photo that draws the eye.

Briefly: nude, in Halloween costumes, group pics (without any indication which is the applicant), Tinder fodder, mug shots, uncombed/unshaven selfies while driving...
There is no way that you are serious...
These are only a sample. Wedding photos, surrounded by starving children... I could go on (but it's so painful).There is no way that you are serious...
Last edited by a moderator:
This is not a passport picture where a neutral expression is required. Please smile. I have had applicants who were evaluated at interview as being dour or humorless and someone will say, "let's see their picture" and if the photo is someone with a negative expression on their face, the outlook is not good for that applicant whereas, at that point, a photo showing someone with a cheerful expression might have helped.
Yes! that default expression should be a pleasant one!
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
When you receive an II, you have to upload a photo of yourself. Would a graduation photo (cap and gown) be considered appropriate? I'm trying to find a good professional photo of myself from my collection of pictures...
Someone please refresh my memory. I thought that I had to upload a pic for the AMCAS app (2012-13 app cycle). I don't remember also sending a pic after getting an II. Maybe I did both? That part is foggy.
BTW...I "cleaned up" and just put on a shirt and tie, and one of my parents just snapped a pic. It was fine.
Some of the pics that Admins are describing suggest that perhaps pics should be the first line of down-selection.
Someone please refresh my memory. I thought that I had to upload a pic for the AMCAS app (2012-13 app cycle). I don't remember also sending a pic after getting an II. Maybe I did both? That part is foggy.
BTW...I "cleaned up" and just put on a shirt and tie, and one of my parents just snapped a pic. It was fine.
Some of the pics that Admins are describing suggest that perhaps pics should be the first line of down-selection.
There is no place to upload a photo in AMCAS. Many schools ask for them in their secondaries.
😱😱😱 at the stories here.
You'd think that someone smart enough to be offered an II would have the sense to pick an appropriate photo
You'd be surprised at how stupid some people that get into med school are. I've met some people (not at my school, thankfully) that seriously made me question how they even got into undergrad let alone med school...
@OP, listen to the adcoms here. Don't use a passport photo unless you're professionally dressed and smiling. Just look nice, smile, and make sure you're easily identifiable. Beyond that your actual application and interview are what will actually matter, not how you look in one photo.
There is no place to upload a photo in AMCAS. Many schools ask for them in their secondaries.
Thanks for the clarification. I know I had the pic taken in the summer when home, so I guess I thought I needed it needed it for the app, not II's. Now that I think about it, I think I sent pics with secondaries. Is that memory wrong?
Last edited:
Thanks for the clarification. I know I had the pic taken in the summer when home, so I guess I thought I needed it needed it for the app, not II's. Now that I think about it, I think I sent pics with secondaries. Is that memory wrong?
That's right. That's what I meant in the second sentence.
Sounds like AMCAS could make Adcoms' lives easier if it required a pic with primaries, and then have some sort of "recognition software" that screens out apps that include pics of nudes and any other bizarre things.
Anyone who doesn't possess the discernment skill of an appropriate pic has no business having his/her app go any further.
Anyone who doesn't possess the discernment skill of an appropriate pic has no business having his/her app go any further.
The nude did have genitalia covered, a bit like the Burt Reynolds centerfold for Playgirl.What would be the worst possible thing to send in? A dick pic?
Oh my, had to google Burt Reynolds, but that is a truly funny story. Obviously uploaded the wrong photo with his app. But you did remember him!The nude did have genitalia covered, a bit like the Burt Reynolds centerfold for Playgirl.
If that were the goal, he would have been a winner!But you did remember him!
The nude did have genitalia covered, a bit like the Burt Reynolds centerfold for Playgirl.
Loooooooool! What on Earth?
The nude did have genitalia covered, a bit like the Burt Reynolds centerfold for Playgirl.
my year we had a girl take her med school ID photo in a tube top. It looked how you'd expect.
We sometimes veto the especially bad photos for the MS1's.my year we had a girl take her med school ID photo in a tube top. It looked how you'd expect.
Once again my learned colleague Leaves me speechless! No Hollywood writer....
The nude did have genitalia covered, a bit like the Burt Reynolds centerfold for Playgirl.
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Ladies you definitely want the cleavage bursting out with a slight angle on the face. Guys you definitely want a close up picture of you doing a keg stand.
Similar threads
J
- Replies
- 0
- Views
- 1K
J
- Replies
- 7
- Views
- 679