medical school loan repayment

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

CMVpromoter

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
How long does it take for the average doctor to pay off their loans?

How big is the difference between primary care and the specialties?

I've heard figures from 10, 20 and 30 years (and at the extreme 50 years or something like that).
 
Another suggestion is to go the IBR route, and work for a public or not for profit entity (like most hospitals, or a not-for-profit that you set up). Then after 120 payments over 10 years, the rest of the debt is forgiven. Oh yeah, most residencies also count toward this 10 year requirement, so if you're in a surgical subspecialty, you should be able to have debt repaid/forgiven prior to completing training.

re: salary info & comparisons: here are a couple suggestions, although I'd bet with the upcoming healthcare changes, it'd be hard to predict how things will go. I've always heard that procedure based specialties like urology or optho pay far more than consult-based specialties like sleep med or primary care. Probably makes sense, how much is it worth for the average patient to do his or her annual checkup, versus repair a detached retina?


http://www.cejkasearch.com/compensation/amga_physician_compensation_survey.htm

http://www.physiciansalary.net/
 
Look at the terms of your stafford or direct loan, whichever you have. I think when I applied for IBR last year in the fine print it said after 25 years whatever the remaining balance (prinicipal and interest) was forgiven. You have to read the terms of your loan. I know of an attending who had a private loan who had similar terms, however, it also said in the fine print that he was responsible for paying taxes on the money.

Example, he still owed 20K. They forgave it, but he had to claim that 20K as taxable income on his IRS return for that year. I am 95% sure this is NOT the case with federal stafford or direcet loans, but check with your lender.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
can I pay more on IBR than what they calculate?

lets say they say pay $200 a month, can I pay $500.

ie am I stuck with their payment schedule for 25 years?
 
can I pay more on IBR than what they calculate?

lets say they say pay $200 a month, can I pay $500.

ie am I stuck with their payment schedule for 25 years?

If you pay more than what they want you to, you'll lose the benefit of IBR (it'll go toward the interest that the government is already paying for you and not the principle).

Put what you'd pay extra in a high yield savings/checking account or in a CD/bond and pay it in a lump sum as soon as IBR doesn't apply to you any more. Or spend it on H&B.