Medical school ranking and residency match?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

sarahbeth607

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I'm a senior in undergrad and I'm trying to choose a medical school. Right now, I'm really interested in neurology, though I realize that might change like a million times in med school. I'm very tempted to choose to attend one of my state schools (Wayne State) because of the cost and location. Ideally, I would have gotten into Umich, but that didn't happen:(. So, I'm left with the difficult choice of my state school, or an extremely expensive, inconveniently located private school that may be ranked a lot better.

My question is this: If I stay interersted in this field and apply for neurology residencies in the future, how important is it that I go to a highly ranked med school? How competetive is this specialty? If I do well on the boards and in med school, do I still have a chance at getting a neurology residency from a med school that's not well-known?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

sarahbeth607 said:
I'm a senior in undergrad and I'm trying to choose a medical school. Right now, I'm really interested in neurology, though I realize that might change like a million times in med school. I'm very tempted to choose to attend one of my state schools (Wayne State) because of the cost and location. Ideally, I would have gotten into Umich, but that didn't happen:(. So, I'm left with the difficult choice of my state school, or an extremely expensive, inconveniently located private school that may be ranked a lot better.

My question is this: If I stay interersted in this field and apply for neurology residencies in the future, how important is it that I go to a highly ranked med school? How competetive is this specialty? If I do well on the boards and in med school, do I still have a chance at getting a neurology residency from a med school that's not well-known?

Thanks!

Sara Beth,

Relax, you are fine.... I know plenty of people who went to Wayne State for med school and are phenonemonal in different medical specialties..... honestly, don't be lured by the names of places.... it's way overrated.... think about everything you want, and if your state school meets those criteria the most, then go there!

Neurology is minimally to moderately competitive, so you can get into a great neuro program regardless of where you go to med school, especially if you are a US grad.

Whoops, I didn't see this thread and posted a similar question in the "Things you wish you had known" thread.

Anyways, I am curious about this, too.