Medical School Rankings for MD/PhD

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Yoshimi

15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I have done a lot of research over the past few weeks on this whole process. As I plan on sending in my AMCAS by Monday, I want to be sure to place the 'right' schools on my list.

Reading through this forum, I have noticed a particular trend. It seems as if most of the 'seasoned' posters discuss mainly those schools in the top 25 (US News and World Report Rankings). I an older applicant (even at 25), and my scores are not the most competitive for MSTP. Although I (and my professors and my PIs) have no doubts in my ability to perform at this level, I realize that the applicants with higher scores (all else being equal) will probably always win a spot before I do (at the top schools).

I have realized (for myself at least) that the main factor in choosing schools should not necessarily be the med school rankings, but actually the specific PhD programs that I want to follow. In the end, I will have an MD/PhD, which will provide me more opportunities and the training that I need. If I perform well on boards, I don't think that attending a school below the top 30 range will inhibit my final goals. My goal is not to be the head of a department someday. I want to provide care to a population of patients from which I will draw questions about their disease process and use basic science to seek answers. Is the problem that I will not be deemed competitive for grants when I graduate from a lower ranked school, even if I prove myself through boards, etc.?

I want those forum members who attend or applied to MD-PhD programs with 'lower rankings' to come forward and just say where they are. I doubt that everyone on this forum only applied to and attend the top 20, but please correct me if I am wrong. Applying to 15+ schools doesn't necessarily imply a broad range. When those who suggest applying to 15+ schools, mean to dip below the top 20?

By the way, yesterday I had an excellent conversation with a MD/PhD program coordinator from a school in the ~40 rank range. With my 32 MCAT, she said that I would certainly prove competitive. This was comforting, although I have also observed that most coordinators always make you feel good about your potential.

Thanks for your comments in advance.

Members don't see this ad.

I only applied to the University of Cincinnati because that is where I wanted to attend (and was accepted there). I have done full time research there for over a year and I've been very impressed. Past grads now teach at Harvard and Hopkins. I have found a lot of people on this board to be way too concerned about school reps and ranks. I think how successful you become hinges more on your accomplishments and performance than the "rank" of the school. Your MCAT seems fairly competitive so that should help, how is your GPA? My advice is to apply to several programs (including a couple of dream schools). Good luck with your application.

Originally posted by DoubleDoctor
I only applied to the University of Cincinnati because that is where I wanted to attend (and was accepted there). I have done full time research there for over a year and I've been very impressed.

I'm probably only going to apply to 1 school this year as well and I plan on doing a fellowship at this school during the year I apply (when I decide on which school). Like you, I have no concern for the ranking of a school and I've let WHO I want to do my PhD work with determine the schools that previously made up my short list of schools to consider for MD/PhD.

MD progarms are pretty much the same as far as I'm concerned (ANY of them can get me to the pathology residency I plan to do) but having been to graduate school before, I know that the quality of my PhD program is most important to me.

Members don't see this ad :)
You'll be in your PhD lab longer than anywhere else, so it makes sense to base your decision on that. Just be careful because individuals can (and do!!) move for various reasons, even when they have tenure. So look for a place where there are multiple people you'd be happy with. Because you can move "with" your PI if you're already in his/her lab, but you can't follow them to a new place if you are in the first two years. Good luck

Originally posted by bailey39
You'll be in your PhD lab longer than anywhere else, so it makes sense to base your decision on that. Just be careful because individuals can (and do!!) move for various reasons, even when they have tenure. So look for a place where there are multiple people you'd be happy with. Because you can move "with" your PI if you're already in his/her lab, but you can't follow them to a new place if you are in the first two years. Good luck

exactly. I know PhD students who got screwed over becaues their PI decided to move or retire during thier thesis work. They had to move to another lab and start all over again

I applied to the straight MD and PSTP program both at Cincy and was accepted to both. Applying only one place really worked well for me ( my stats were very competetive) but I know it is a real crap shot. My PI laughs and says I have "steel cajones". I know this route isn't for everyone though. I did the MD program as a backup because I knew that I could always get my PhD after finishing med school if necessary. Thankfully it worked out and I was accepted to the PSTP so I will be able to complete it all at once. Like I said, I know it's not for everyone but I just am not a game player type person and truthfully, I didn't think I could interview at a bunch of other schools and come off as credible about wanting to attend there when I really only wanted Cincy. Bottom line, everyone has to do what's right for them.

I knew that I could always get my PhD after finishing med school if necessary.

This is true, but most likely you would have to wait until after finishing residency.

there are only 5 or 6 residency programs which give out PhDs, in very limited fields (i.e. they dont give you a choice on which graduate program you want to get your PhD in).

A lot of people think these are "watered-down" so to speak, and it really limits your choices of residency if you wanted to participate in them