Medical School Rankings

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Basically, if you are lucky enough to attend a t5 or a t10, the rest of the medicine journey, in terms of prestige, is just a downhill ride from there on.
Where are you getting this?

Members don't see this ad.

It does not matter if you become a D.O., either. At the end of the day, your performance in residency (which is more dependent upon people skills than anything else) will determine what kind of doctor you become, and where you practice. Chose a residency close to where you want to practice.
Depending on your goals it can absolutely matter if you end up at DO school or community residency...not everyone's definition of success is employment in a certain area

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Cos you start at the highest level by default, the rest is flat or downhill. The thrill of prestige diminishes tremendously from there on.
This doesn't follow. Can you explain?

To All: better be sure senior medical school professors of some of these schools you ranked lower aren’t reading this 😊.

(Lurking, couldn’t help myself…maybe I’ll do an AMA sometime.)

Spoiler alert: it does not matter one bit.
We would love to read this! Go for it! :)

This doesn't follow. Can you explain?
Highest being t5, so whatever follows can’t be higher than that. Say you went to Hopkins for med school, what other residency programs would wow you anymore?

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of medical school deans at mid to lower tier schools went to Harvard, Yale, Hopkins etc.

Is this just a limited sample size or is it important to go to a top tier school if you want to be a hospital/med school administrator?
I know we're all different. Personally, I would NOT go through the grist mill of medical school, residency and fellowship training, just to be an administrator. Not to mention the personal cost, monetary and physical. You realize the Chairman is deluged with meetings all day. That would be some Fresh He!! for me. Just get an MBA in hospital administration if you want to go to meetings all day. It's easier and far less expensive.

• Care
Reactions: 2 users
Highest being t5, so whatever follows can’t be higher than that. Say you went to Hopkins for med school, what other residency programs would wow you anymore?
srirachamayonnaise said:
Basically, if you are lucky enough to attend a t5 or a t10, the rest of the medicine journey, in terms of prestige, is just a downhill ride from there on.
I feel like we're going in circles here but I don't understand your reasoning. There is more to medicine than prestige. Your argument is a non sequitor--it doesn't follow.
1. You can go to Harvard and then go to MGH.
2. It doesn't make sense that "the medicine journey" is a downhill ride just because you go to a program that is not as highly ranked as top programs. Your career is what you make of it.
Not to be an a$$hole but I feel like you are not making sense.

I feel like we're going in circles here but I don't understand your reasoning. There is more to medicine than prestige. Your argument is a non sequitor--it doesn't follow.
1. You can go to Harvard and then go to MGH.
2. It doesn't make sense that "the medicine journey" is a downhill ride just because you go to a program that is not as highly ranked as top programs. Your career is what you make of it.
Not to be an a$$hole but I feel like you are not making sense.
I meant in terms of prestige, but in terms of other things such as experience and excitement and advancement, the journey is very much meaningful.

I meant in terms of prestige, but in terms of other things such as experience and excitement and advancement, the journey is very much meaningful.
Ok but that's not what you said; you said that it's all downhill from T5s and people start out there "by default"...I am done arguing about this with you. Have a good night

Is it just me or does it seem like a lot of medical school deans at mid to lower tier schools went to Harvard, Yale, Hopkins etc.

Is this just a limited sample size or is it important to go to a top tier school if you want to be a hospital/med school administrator?
More likely observer bias.

Read this:

Reactions: 1 users
More likely observer bias.

Read this:
To be fair hes replacing someone who was PBK and AOA at WashU college and SOM. The trend for upper level leadership at big centers def skews towards people who had training and early careers also at big centers.

Reactions: 1 user
Not at all. You get a faculty position based on your fellowship years, in particular your research year or two. It all depends on who you work for, what you have published, and where you have published. There also has to be need in your specialty. Right now there is a huge seller's market for faculty, so it is not that hard for someone to get a faculty job somewhere.

Once you are a faculty, if you have administrative desires and skills, you go in that direction and eventually make it up the ladder as a Division or Department head or Dean if that's what you want. Not sure why you would want that, though, but for some it is a big deal.

Where you went to medical school plays a very minor role in this whole thing. It's more about your skills.

BTW, we take at least one DO graduate into our fellowship program every year, and we are pretty high up there. We look at the person and what kind of doc and/or future faculty they will be. I cannot tell the DO and MD apart, and many times I have no idea what their degree is.

Reactions: 3 users
Status
Not open for further replies.