Medical School Requirements: Not a FAQ

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

shaybaybay91

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi, I graduated from UCLA with a Business Economics degree. Along the way, I tried to complete as many of the pre-med requirements but was unable to finish the physics requirements. I decided to finish the general physics requirements at CSULB as well as some additional upper division courses. I'm currently an open university student at CSULB, however, I found out after taking the physics class that any lower division courses will not be counted towards my GPA at CSULB since I already have a BA. My question is, will the course still count as fulfilling the physics requirement if I received a letter grade upon completion of the class, but the course shows as zero credits on my transcript? I tried asking the counselor assigned to open university students, but she didn't sound too sure about her answer. I sent another email to a UCLA counselor and am awaiting a reply. Anyone else know the answer or have had a similar experience? Any advice would also be greatly appreciated, and thanks for you time.

Members don't see this ad.

I don't know much about CSULB, but showing as zero credits on your transcript might be an issue. My first impression is that it will not fulfill your physics requirement, because many medical schools require a certain number of credits on pre-reqs. Just having a letter grade might be insufficient, probably.

Dang it, I was hoping that wouldn't be the case if I completed the course. Thanks for your input, I guess I'll have to just wait for a counselor to respond to find out what my options are.

Members don't see this ad :)
So on your transcript for CSULB it show a 0 for credit hours for the physics course? That seems a bit odd for a course you paid for and successfully completed. I'd definitely wait for your counselor's response because I don't see why it shouldn't count and why you would obtain 0 credit hours for a course you completed.

Well looking at the online unofficial transcript it there are two columns one says units toward GPA and another says units not for GPA and physics is there with 4 units taken but not counted toward GPA. Also, at the top of the unofficial transcript there's the breakdown of classes I took for the semester with the final letter grades, and again next two physics it says "coursework excluded from statistics". That's why I was hoping if it showed that the course was 4 units and the final letter grade it would still count. It sucks having to wait for the counselors to comeback from break.

Well looking at the online unofficial transcript it there are two columns one says units toward GPA and another says units not for GPA and physics is there with 4 units taken but not counted toward GPA. Also, at the top of the unofficial transcript there's the breakdown of classes I took for the semester with the final letter grades, and again next two physics it says "coursework excluded from statistics". That's why I was hoping if it showed that the course was 4 units and the final letter grade it would still count. It sucks having to wait for the counselors to comeback from break.

If the course is offered as X credits, and you're paying for it as anybody else could to take the course for credit, this is only relevant within the school. The GPA and whether CSLUB counts it toward your GPA seems irrelevant -- that GPA is some sort of an internal issue. (My guess is that this is some sort of designation important for financial aid eligibility after completing an undergrad degree or to prevent graduate students who are struggling from boosting their GPA with undergrad courses, b/c many grad programs have min GPA requirements). Many schools don't even calculate GPAs, others don't factor in pluses and minuses, etc. What matters is that you have a transcript with a grade in the course and a designated number of credits, and what AMCAS calculates as your GPA. I've never taken a class at CSULB, and it's been a while since I took extension courses at UCLA and UCSC, but they used to have a separate designation for not-for-credit courses that I was enrolled in (even when other students were taking them for credit) versus for-credit courses & a grade never showed up for not-for-credit classes.

Reactions: 1 user
Yes! then there's hope for me yet. It would really suck if it was a problem since classes are so expensive.

I think that you should first call the admissions offices of three or four medical schools to ask if they would accept the credit. (I think they will.) Next, call AMCAS to ask how they will factor the course into your GPA.

Alright that sounds like a good idea instead of just waiting for a reply from the counselors. Another question, I was wondering how important research is. I've heard it's not really a deal breaker as long as I still have enough ECs, but would not having research jeopardize my chances at being able to get into a top 20 school? I guess what I'm asking is can I offset the fact that I don't have any research experience with other ECs and a better GPA/ MCAT score?

Alright that sounds like a good idea instead of just waiting for a reply from the counselors. Another question, I was wondering how important research is. I've heard it's not really a deal breaker as long as I still have enough ECs, but would not having research jeopardize my chances at being able to get into a top 20 school? I guess what I'm asking is can I offset the fact that I don't have any research experience with other ECs and a better GPA/ MCAT score?

Research is almost mandatory unless you can speak 5 different languages, are an award-winning professional pianist or went to Oxford with Rhodes.

Some people will even say publications are highly recommended, but there are always exceptions to this. But the number of applicants who fell under such exceptions is more likely fewer than we hope.

I can speak 2 languages lmao. Alright guess I should ask my professors about research then.

Hi, I graduated from UCLA with a Business Economics degree. Along the way, I tried to complete as many of the pre-med requirements but was unable to finish the physics requirements. I decided to finish the general physics requirements at CSULB as well as some additional upper division courses. I'm currently an open university student at CSULB, however, I found out after taking the physics class that any lower division courses will not be counted towards my GPA at CSULB since I already have a BA. My question is, will the course still count as fulfilling the physics requirement if I received a letter grade upon completion of the class, but the course shows as zero credits on my transcript? I tried asking the counselor assigned to open university students, but she didn't sound too sure about her answer. I sent another email to a UCLA counselor and am awaiting a reply. Anyone else know the answer or have had a similar experience? Any advice would also be greatly appreciated, and thanks for you time.

Hi! I know this thread was created a long time ago but I googled "coursework excluded from gpa" because it says the same thing on my unofficial transcripts!! I am also an open university student at CSULB and I took a bio and physics course last semester and it says "coursework excluded from gpa" next to both of my classes and it shows zero credits earned even though I got an A and a B in those classes. Did you ever get the issue resolved and got the credits for them? What did you do to get them if you did? I'm starting to worry because I don't think it would count when I apply to dental school. Thank you!

Research is almost mandatory unless you can speak 5 different languages, are an award-winning professional pianist or went to Oxford with Rhodes.

Some people will even say publications are highly recommended, but there are always exceptions to this. But the number of applicants who fell under such exceptions is more likely fewer than we hope.

This isn’t true at all unless you’re gunning for the top schools. Adcoms on SDN have even said that research is overvalued among premeds.