Handwritten note taking in medical school

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

olofmeister

Full Member
2+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Hi, I'm starting next fall and I would like to know how viable it is to take notes with a pencil and paper during lecture. I did this all throughout college and it worked very well, but with the substantially increased amount of info in med school, I'm not sure if it would still be a good option.

Is taking notes in a notebook feasible or does everyone use iPads/laptops? I'd like to know if I need to buy a laptop and/or iPad. Thank you
 
Hi, I'm starting next fall and I would like to know how viable it is to take notes with a pencil and paper during lecture. I did this all throughout college and it worked very well, but with the substantially increased amount of info in med school, I'm not sure if it would still be a good option.

Is taking notes in a notebook feasible or does everyone use iPads/laptops? I'd like to know if I need to buy a laptop and/or iPad. Thank you
It's a dying art. And I applaud you for keeping analog alive.

I personally print out the slide decks at the local FedEx Kinkos (in color) and write on them. It's expensive but that's what I'm used to and it works for me. But I will warn you that this is not the most efficient way of going about basic sciences. However, if you make the time sacrifices, I see nothing wrong with the analog method today, and I personally think it is more organized.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
It took me only one day to give up trying to take notes on blank paper. There was just no way to write everything you needed like many undergrad teachers might allow.

I then printed out the slides at FedEx Kinkos or whatever it was called back in 2010, but this got expensive and it wasn’t uncommon for the slides to get updated last minute. So that lasted only a few weeks.

Everyone else seemed to just type notes in the notes section of PowerPoint. I found ithat very unhelpful as there’s a tendency to type everything that is said and not synthesize/reorganize the info. Plus research shows the note writer doesn’t learn much with that system anyway.

So I tried an art/graphics tablet (Wacom made them back then). I coupled it to a program that would import the PowerPoint files and could take full advantage of the graphics tablet (the variable pressure made it more aesthetically pleasing). The tablet pretty much fit right on my laptop keyboard.

I still think printer color slides on paper was the most pleasant/best for learning. I enjoy using a real pencil. But you can’t learn if you’re missing slides.

The tablet was the next best thing. These days you might be able to just annotate directly on the screen if you get a good iPad and their graphics pen. I imagine a lot has happened in 16 years.
 
It took me only one day to give up trying to take notes on blank paper. There was just no way to write everything you needed like many undergrad teachers might allow.

I then printed out the slides at FedEx Kinkos or whatever it was called back in 2010, but this got expensive and it wasn’t uncommon for the slides to get updated last minute. So that lasted only a few weeks.

Everyone else seemed to just type notes in the notes section of PowerPoint. I found ithat very unhelpful as there’s a tendency to type everything that is said and not synthesize/reorganize the info. Plus research shows the note writer doesn’t learn much with that system anyway.

So I tried an art/graphics tablet (Wacom made them back then). I coupled it to a program that would import the PowerPoint files and could take full advantage of the graphics tablet (the variable pressure made it more aesthetically pleasing). The tablet pretty much fit right on my laptop keyboard.

I still think printer color slides on paper was the most pleasant/best for learning. I enjoy using a real pencil. But you can’t learn if you’re missing slides.

The tablet was the next best thing. These days you might be able to just annotate directly on the screen if you get a good iPad and their graphics pen. I imagine a lot has happened in 16 years.
Lol I have a feeling this is exactly what's going to happen for me, thanks for sharing