Medical school to dental school for OMFS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

MD2OMFS

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
hey all,

i'm finishing up medical school and recently decided to pursue a career in omfs. i realize this will require dental school first. i'm aware of a handful of omfs programs that accept MD graduates (UAB, baylor) for a a combined dds/omfs pathway.

however, i'm also aware that some schools grant MDs advanced standing in their DDS program. but, I don't know of many and was wondering if others could help with this. can anybody provide insight as to which dental schools would let an MD shave at least a year off of DDS training? thanks in advance everyone.

p.s yes, i've searched this topic quite extensively on SDN... many of the previous threads regarding this are outdated :) if any of you have experience with fellow OMFS'ers that went down a similar path, i'd be happy to hear your thoughts.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
just out of curiosity, why not ENT and head & neck surgery?

btw, upenn does this thing that u mentioned with advanced standing, their chief last year was an MD from Missouri who then did 2 years to get dental degree and then OMFS. But double check since programs keep changing things !

You might check Alabama. i heard they have done stuff like that in the past. glad to hear you are turning away from the dark side.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think Harward has an official program for MDs, i heard it from some of the people from there when i was interviewing for OMFS.

I think Harward has an official program for MDs, i heard it from some of the people from there when i was interviewing for OMFS.

The program is MGH, not Harvard, (Med school is done at Harvard but all OMFS training is under the umbrella of MGH). Nevertheless, we don't have an official program for MD's coming in. We tried it once with a med student from NYU. He was offered a spot outside of the MATCH program. The plan was for him to go straight to Gen Surg year out of med school for PGY 1. for years 2 and 3 he would go to dental school while his cohorts would be at medical school. For year 4 he would be an OMFS Intern (as pgy 2) while his cohorts would be at gen surg. Then for years 5 and 6 (pgy 3 and 4) he would have been back on track and joined the other residents.

Unfortunately after he took the spot he bailed right before MATCH (from what I heard he got into some other MD residency program) so the program never got tested out.

The point being, MGH may be an option...