Medical School Transcript / MSPE

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

moto_za

15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was wondering if residency programs require a final copy of your medical school transcript and MSPE letter before starting residency (after the match)?

Members don't see this ad.

I was wondering if residency programs require a final copy of your medical school transcript and MSPE letter before starting residency (after the match)?
If the underlying question is "will my residency program care that I failed/didn't do well on a 4th year elective when I was checked out," the answer is "not as long as you still graduate." Finding someone to fill your spot on short notice after the match is such a pain that, barring some serious professionalism issue, they're unlikely to want to do that.

Also, I agree with Raryn that I think they just look for your diploma.

Reactions: 1 users
Programs are required to have a copy of your diploma. Some also require a copy of your final transcript. The week after match, your inbox will be full of instructions on what is needed, and how to get the info to the program.

Word of Advice: Make a couple of copies of your diploma BEFORE it is framed. Keep them in a fireproof safe. Also keep your USMLE/COMLEX transcript there. And your final transcript, from undergrad and medical school. A copy of your residency completion certificate. A copy of your case logs. You WILL need these later, as part of the credentialing process of various institutions. Not all require it, but some do. (Just like some medical boards want you send it, some get it themselves) Be prepared!

Reactions: 4 users
Programs are required to have a copy of your diploma. Some also require a copy of your final transcript. The week after match, your inbox will be full of instructions on what is needed, and how to get the info to the program.

Word of Advice: Make a couple of copies of your diploma BEFORE it is framed. Keep them in a fireproof safe. Also keep your USMLE/COMLEX transcript there. And your final transcript, from undergrad and medical school. A copy of your residency completion certificate. A copy of your case logs. You WILL need these later, as part of the credentialing process of various institutions. Not all require it, but some do. (Just like some medical boards want you send it, some get it themselves) Be prepared!
I scanned all those things as I acquired them and keep them in my dropbox, along with a scan of my last proof of flu shot, various forms of ID, my marriage certificate, etc. It makes my life so much easier when I need to get hospital credentialing done - I just email my premade PDFs and I'm done with that section of the process in a few minutes.

Reactions: 1 user
Raryn---Yeus!! Just be sure to keep originals, also. Electronic files can occasionally go missing. :cool: note from inner geek: have backup for your backup.

Back to the OP's question: Live life assuming that they will. A residency can absolutely require a final transcript, and can set standards for performance for onboarding. If they have rules stating that you can't fail anything between your submitted and final transcripts. they will be able to waive your match if they so choose. Even if not, this will start you out on a bad footing with your program. If this were to happen with me, I'd probably start you. But, I'd be very clear that you're on thin ice -- first sign of any troubles and we will be much less forgiving. Also depends on what/how you fail something -- if there's a major professionalism issue, you'd be fired at the first professionalism problem in residency.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone every heard of information about board scores, attempts, failures appearing on medical school transcripts? Or does this only contain course grades?

Does anyone every heard of information about board scores, attempts, failures appearing on medical school transcripts? Or does this only contain course grades?
Transcript is just your school grades. Your USMLE transcript will tell them about your USMLE experiences. Your MSPE could contain information about your boards if you disclose it to the Dean and they choose to include it. But that's unlikely to happen.

It's very school dependent. Some schools routinely list USMLE scores on the MSPE. Some only list that you've passed. Very few (if any) MD schools don't list it at all. On a transcript, I've seen a notation that the step has been passed, but never an actual score.

It's very school dependent. Some schools routinely list USMLE scores on the MSPE. Some only list that you've passed. Very few (if any) MD schools don't list it at all. On a transcript, I've seen a notation that the step has been passed, but never an actual score.

what have you seen with DO school transcripts? same as MD?

DO is similar. All DO MSPE's list COMLEX scores. Some DO Transcripts list whether you've passed COMLEX, usually without a score. USMLE's are sometimes included -- I expect that might be at the discretion of the student.

I'm assuming your real question is: I'm a DO student and I failed / did poorly on the USMLE, will it be reported on my MSPE/Transcript?

Answer:
Transcript - no
MSPE - probably not, ask your school.

Reactions: 1 users