Medical School Tuition while "Active Duty"

Started by atheon86
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

atheon86

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I am planning on applying to one out of state school, Hawaii. I lived in Hawaii for 4 years while I was in the military and would liked to have stayed there for school if it weren't so expensive, but I came back to Florida to finish my undergrad.

I am applying to the HSCP (not HPSP) program, and while in the program, you are on active duty for the entire 4 years of medical school. I know that state schools have to charge active duty military in-state tuition. So my question is, if I am a resident of Florida, but attend a state school outside of Florida, while on HSCP, would I be charged in-state tuition?

I am trying to find a way to get back to Hawaii for medical school, without going broke!

Of note, I also have 21 months left of my post-9/11 GI bill left.

Anyone care to chime in?
 
I am planning on applying to one out of state school, Hawaii. I lived in Hawaii for 4 years while I was in the military and would liked to have stayed there for school if it weren't so expensive, but I came back to Florida to finish my undergrad.

I am applying to the HSCP (not HPSP) program, and while in the program, you are on active duty for the entire 4 years of medical school. I know that state schools have to charge active duty military in-state tuition. So my question is, if I am a resident of Florida, but attend a state school outside of Florida, while on HSCP, would I be charged in-state tuition?

I am trying to find a way to get back to Hawaii for medical school, without going broke!

Of note, I also have 21 months left of my post-9/11 GI bill left.

Anyone care to chime in?

This might help:

http://whitecoatinvestor.com/health-services-collegiate-program-military-medicine-series/