Medical School with Essential Tremor?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Portcullis

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hi all, I hope this is the right place to ask a question about this topic. Can anyone share their experience of practicing medicine with essential tremor? How difficult is it to get through medical school with it? I often get shaky hands throughout the day (some things or times definitely exacerbate it) and my physician said it's essential tremor and that there's no cure, and they don't medicate unless it's really interfering with your life. How would you say this would impact my experience in medicine overall?

Members don't see this ad.

Not personally, but I knew a surgeon (urology) who had a hugely successful practice in NY (he had pictures of famous patients on his wall), and he had had a benign essential tremor his entire life!

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Not personally, but I knew a surgeon (urology) who had a hugely successful practice in NY (he had pictures of famous patients on his wall), and he had had a benign essential tremor his entire life!

I wouldn't want my picture on my urologist's wall...

• Haha
Reactions: 3 users
I have an essential tremor and while I'm not a surgeon, it hasn't been a problem. Some patients have asked if I was nervous, but everyone understands when I explain. During procedures I let my staff know ahead of time if I haven't worked with them before, and just brace my hand, and the tremor is not an issue after that.

I've had medical school classmates and co-residents who took beta blockers for essential tremor. Wasn't an issue at all.

Hi all, I hope this is the right place to ask a question about this topic. Can anyone share their experience of practicing medicine with essential tremor? How difficult is it to get through medical school with it? I often get shaky hands throughout the day (some things or times definitely exacerbate it) and my physician said it's essential tremor and that there's no cure, and they don't medicate unless it's really interfering with your life. How would you say this would impact my experience in medicine overall?

I take shots of Everclear before the OR