Medical Schools' Forte?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

PrincessCKNY

Crown Royal Member
7+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
20+ Year Member
Reaction score
I was curious as to how one knows if a particular school is more oriented to research, family medicine, community health, etc.? It seems that, after reading online and in MSAR, that all schools seem to strive for the same stuff (ie. clinical experience, research experience, serving community, academic excellence). What are the distinctions that make each school unique, and how can you find this info? Sorry if this sounds dense, but I just don't see it. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I don't want to sound like a dolt when answering secondaries or on the interview, which is what I am deathly afraid of.

Members don't see this ad.

Check USNews and World Report rankings for research and primary care. There is also one for women's health, and I'm not sure what all else.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thanks, that helps. What if a school isn't ranked? Take UCI for example. I went there for undergrad, and I still can't seem to put my finger on what their emphasis is exactly. I know it isn't research. I'm doomed.

Start a thread asking about it. You will get lots of info from knowledgeable SDNers. Sorry I'm not in that category for this question! Good luck!:)