Medical Schools that accept more Black/ African Americans

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

iClearDiamond

7+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone!
So I am about to be a junior in college and I am also about to start applying to medical schools, I would like to know non-HBCU medical schools that accept or matriculate more Black/ African Americans or rather more minorities?
Please let me know. Thank You

Members don't see this ad.

Hello Everyone!
So I am about to be a junior in college and I am also about to start applying to medical schools, I would like to know non-HBCU medical schools that accept or matriculate more Black/ African Americans or rather more minorities?
Please let me know. Thank You

they all will treat URMs well in the process, but the percentages of the student body will be low in most of them because the number of competative URMs applying is simply low for the population.

your state of residence and stats will have more effect on which schools will take your app as a URM than being a URM will change your odds with one school as opposed to another (<---that's an awkward phrasing, sorry, I can't think of a different way)

what state and gpa range are you expecting?

they all will treat URMs well in the process, but the percentages of the student body will be low in most of them because the number of competative URMs applying is simply low for the population.

your state of residence and stats will have more effect on which schools will take your app as a URM than being a URM will change your odds with one school as opposed to another (<---that's an awkward phrasing, sorry, I can't think of a different way)

what state and gpa range are you expecting?

Thanks for your feedback and your absolutely right . My gpa range is 3.75. And what do you mean by state? Do you mean states I plan to go to?

Members don't see this ad :)
your state of residence....many public medical schools have strict in-state preference

you'll find that the public schools that aren't in maryland will normally have a certain number/percent of seats that just simply aren't available to you because you aren't from there. That bias can range quite a bit can be almost 99% instate.

private schools generally are open season when competing for seats

If you qualify URM for a school, have a 3.75 and get a reasonable mcat....you're going to be in great shape. Just make sure to get the required letters of recommendation and some shadowing/clinical time and you're way ahead of the curve.

keep focused and you can do this

you'll find that the public schools that aren't in maryland will normally have a certain number/percent of seats that just simply aren't available to you because you aren't from there. That bias can range quite a bit can be almost 99% instate.

private schools generally are open season when competing for seats

If you qualify URM for a school, have a 3.75 and get a reasonable mcat....you're going to be in great shape. Just make sure to get the required letters of recommendation and some shadowing/clinical time and you're way ahead of the curve.

keep focused and you can do this

Thanks! you've helped me alot and I hope everything will work out well