Medical Schools with generous financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

medschool2016

Full Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
For people who have been accepted/are in medical schools right now, what are some of the schools that are really well known for giving students generous financial aid packages? (I have heard that UChicago gives out a lot of money to help students every year and based on researching the Georgetown website, it looks like Georgetown mostly gives loans)

Thanks in advance!
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Basically it's mostly going to be the private institutions which have generous donors so they don't have to focus on their overhead.
 
Dartmouth, harvard, yale... I think a lot of the top private schools give out generous amounts in need-based scholarships
 
I'll second Penn - not to mention that the recent $225 million Perelman donation will likely do great things for future financial aid.
 
Duke.
Generally if it's private, top 10 etc the chances of finaid are higher.
 
Last edited:
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
I was referring to need-based aid, but it seems like only the best of the best med schools give really good aids.

Thanks!
 
I've heard that U of Virginia has great alumni donating back to the program, resulting in quite a bit of scholarship money.
 
In my experience, Emory and Dartmouth were both very generous in offering need-based aid.

Also, all MS-1's at Emory receive free Litman stethoscopes courtesy of the alumni association.
 
Hadn't heard these mentioned on the same level as penn, chicago, and mayo, etc.

I don't know every financial aid policy for every school, just the ones I interviewed at or know from another source.

But yeah I was just throwing some out there, I'm sure there are plenty of others.

I think the Ivies have very similar need-based programs.
 
Is it ok to assume that other schools would give you the "same package" but mostly in loans? Like what happens in college?
 
Is it ok to assume that other schools would give you the "same package" but mostly in loans? Like what happens in college?

Well in my experience the way it works with more generous schools, they give you a portion in scholarship money (whether need-based or not), then they give you the rest in loans. The relative amounts of each depends on your (and your parents') financial situation, and on the school. Many schools use the Need Access application and FAFSA to asses how much scholarship money you will receive, and how much in loans you will receive.

This depends on the school of course.

In my experience, for public schools, you are basically required to take out loans for everything and very few people receive any scholarship money, which is usually merit-based.