Medical Schools with generous financial aid

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

medschool2016

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
For people who have been accepted/are in medical schools right now, what are some of the schools that are really well known for giving students generous financial aid packages? (I have heard that UChicago gives out a lot of money to help students every year and based on researching the Georgetown website, it looks like Georgetown mostly gives loans)

Thanks in advance!

Members don't see this ad.

Members don't see this ad :)
Basically it's mostly going to be the private institutions which have generous donors so they don't have to focus on their overhead.

Dartmouth, harvard, yale... I think a lot of the top private schools give out generous amounts in need-based scholarships

I'll second Penn - not to mention that the recent $225 million Perelman donation will likely do great things for future financial aid.

Dartmouth, harvard, yale... I think a lot of the top private schools give out generous amounts in need-based scholarships

Hadn't heard these mentioned on the same level as penn, chicago, and mayo, etc.

Duke.
Generally if it's private, top 10 etc the chances of finaid are higher.

Last edited:

I might be wrong, but I think OP was referring to non-need-based forms of financial aid. You're right, though, that the Ivies have lots of resources for need-based awards.

Members don't see this ad :)
financial aid implies to me need based aid, as opposed to scholarship, which is merit-based.

I was referring to need-based aid, but it seems like only the best of the best med schools give really good aids.

Thanks!

I've heard that U of Virginia has great alumni donating back to the program, resulting in quite a bit of scholarship money.

Okay, how about schools that aren't ridiculous reaches :D

Out of curiosity, how do most medical schools package their financial aid?

In my experience, Emory and Dartmouth were both very generous in offering need-based aid.

Also, all MS-1's at Emory receive free Litman stethoscopes courtesy of the alumni association.

Hadn't heard these mentioned on the same level as penn, chicago, and mayo, etc.

I don't know every financial aid policy for every school, just the ones I interviewed at or know from another source.

But yeah I was just throwing some out there, I'm sure there are plenty of others.

I think the Ivies have very similar need-based programs.

Is it ok to assume that other schools would give you the "same package" but mostly in loans? Like what happens in college?

Is it ok to assume that other schools would give you the "same package" but mostly in loans? Like what happens in college?

Well in my experience the way it works with more generous schools, they give you a portion in scholarship money (whether need-based or not), then they give you the rest in loans. The relative amounts of each depends on your (and your parents') financial situation, and on the school. Many schools use the Need Access application and FAFSA to asses how much scholarship money you will receive, and how much in loans you will receive.

This depends on the school of course.

In my experience, for public schools, you are basically required to take out loans for everything and very few people receive any scholarship money, which is usually merit-based.

I see thank you very much for the information, definitely need to keep this in the back of my head.