May 13, 2016
Status
Post Doc
Hello friends,
Hope things are going well with you.
I am a research scientist, working for a government-funded research organization in India with 4 years research experiences and five first author publications in PubMed Indexed journals. I have completed my Bachelor's Degree in Veterinary Sciences (B.V.Sc/DVM) with GPA 6.2/10 after my Pre- School (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) . Later I completed Masters (M.V.Sc) and Ph.D programs in Biochemistry with GPA 6.5/10 and 8.5/10, respectively. I want to change my career track and do something other than being an Animal research Scientist.My childhood ambition was to become a human doctor because I love this profession very much, but that doesn't happen here, I become a Vet Doctor.Now I am focussing my career in scientific research and clinical medicine related to human. I want to know if my degrees will be accepted as an international applicant from any Medical School in USA for the purpose of Medical Scientist Training MD/PhD programs infarct if I can score a good % in MCAT exam . I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks,
Dr.Sat

Catalystik

The Gimlet Eye
10+ Year Member
Sep 4, 2006
The Other Side of the Portal
Hello friends,
Hope things are going well with you.
I am a research scientist, working for a government-funded research organization in India with 4 years research experiences and five first author publications in PubMed Indexed journals. I have completed my Bachelor's Degree in Veterinary Sciences (B.V.Sc/DVM) with GPA 6.2/10 after my Pre- School (Physics, Chemistry, Biology) . Later I completed Masters (M.V.Sc) and Ph.D programs in Biochemistry with GPA 6.5/10 and 8.5/10, respectively. I want to change my career track and do something other than being an Animal research Scientist.My childhood ambition was to become a human doctor because I love this profession very much, but that doesn't happen here, I become a Vet Doctor.Now I am focussing my career in scientific research and clinical medicine related to human. I want to know if my degrees will be accepted as an international applicant from any Medical School in USA for the purpose of Medical Scientist Training MD/PhD programs infarct if I can score a good % in MCAT exam . I look forward to hearing from you.
Thanks,
Dr.Sat
The application services for US med schools do not accept foreign transcripts. You would be faced with getting an acceptance to a US or Canadian university and repeating a lot of coursework before you could apply.

JustAPhD

Not a hummingbird expert
2+ Year Member
Jan 5, 2016
Ice Coast
Also, you already have a prior PhD which is a no-no for MSTP. You should not and they will not allow you to abuse MSTP for the funding aspect.
It doesn't sound like abusing the funding system was OP's intentions, more so that the OP was just unaware.

WUSTL said:
Individuals who completed undergraduate degrees at foreign institutions outside must also have at least two full years of study at a college or university in the United States or Canada .
UWash said:
Q. Do you need to be a US citizen to apply?
A. Yes, you need to be a US citizen or hold permanent US residency status at the time of application. Due to our funding from the NIH, we are unable to accept applications from international applicants.
JHU said:
Q: Can I apply to the MD-PhD Program if I already have a PhD?

A: MSTP funding is not available to students who have already completed a PhD. Thus, PhD holders should apply to the School of Medicine for an MD degree. Once accepted, students can participate in MD-PhD Program specific events like the Annual Retreat and Herlong Rounds.
^Just some typical hurdles that would have to be overcome (these are all from the schools' MSTP sites), the fact that you already have a PhD would make MSTPs not the avenue you'd want to pursue.

OP
B
May 13, 2016
Status
Post Doc
The application services for US med schools do not accept foreign transcripts. You would be faced with getting an acceptance to a US or Canadian university and repeating a lot of coursework before you could apply.
Thank you very much for the information.

eteshoe

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2016
Tethys, Saturn
Status
MD/PhD Student
It seems very odd that someone who already has a PhD in Biochemistry (not some other discipline) would consider doing a MSTP.
You underestimate how many immigrants want to get into the US. Though most of the ones I've encountered just wanted a straight MD after getting a foreign PhD (or vice versa)

MaxPlancker

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Boston
Status
Medical Student
You underestimate how many immigrants want to get into the US. Though most of the ones I've encountered just wanted a straight MD after getting a foreign PhD (or vice versa)
No I do not underestimate how badly they want to get into the U.S.; I am well aware. There is (almost) no reason to pursue a MSTP beyond funding especially with a previous PhD if the goal is to "become a human doctor" or even if he/she wanted to continue research. Someone with such educational experience abroad can easily recognize that, and I don't buy the fact that it's not motivated by the funding as the majority of internationals won't be able to afford MD-only even if accepted.

eteshoe

2+ Year Member
Jan 4, 2016
Tethys, Saturn
Status
MD/PhD Student
No I do not underestimate how badly they want to get into the U.S.; I am well aware. There is (almost) no reason to pursue a MSTP beyond funding especially with a previous PhD if the goal is to "become a human doctor" or even if he/she wanted to continue research. Someone with such educational experience abroad can easily recognize that, and I don't buy the fact that it's not motivated by the funding as the majority of internationals won't be able to afford MD-only even if accepted.
Oh I don't disagree w/ your reasoning. Just saying that some people are desperate and don't think things through because w/ a bit of research it can be seen how restrictive the funding for MSTPs really are, especially for international applicants.

Reactions: MaxPlancker

MaxPlancker

2+ Year Member
Nov 24, 2014
Boston
Status
Medical Student
Oh I don't disagree w/ your reasoning. Just saying that some people are desperate and don't think things through because w/ a bit of research it can be seen how restrictive the funding for MSTPs really are, especially for international applicants.
Ah my bad, I should stop reading posts when sleepy :p

Reactions: eteshoe