Medical Scribe

fourteen12

Reaction score
What do y’all think about trying to become a medical scribe this summer? I don’t know a whole lot about the job but have heard it’s great for med school. Also, I’m thinking about EMT certification but am uncertain. I’m going to be a freshman and also I’m almost completely fluent in Spanish if I could do something like a medical translator, but haven’t done anything with Spanish and medicine yet except for mission trips, so I would have to take Spanish medical courses before then.

Members don't see this ad.

How old are you? Many people begin scribing when they are in college.

Members don't see this ad :)
Yeah I’m gonna be a freshman.
You are going to be a freshmen in high school? I would not start scribing yet.

Depending on location and company you may need to be 18 years old (or at least given preference in hiring). I would be concerned about burnout. If you scribe in the ED you can be scheduled for many odd shifts. With an inflexible high school schedule (compared to college) you may be stuck with evening or weekend shifts which may be tiresome or have negative effects on your grades.

I would wait until you can drive at least! I know our shop had shifts that ended at 2 and 3 AM. I don't think your parents would want to pick you up at 2 or 3 in the morning, especially if you have classes at 7 or 8 the next day and they have work in the morning too. Just consider that.

Scribing is great experience and you rack up clinical hours like crazy, but do it only if you're confident about handling it alongside school. I feel very fortunate to be working with a great team of fellow scribes and providers, but I hear horror stories about malignant environments (as someone mentioned already). Hours can get long and weird, and pay's not the greatest either, but the job is temporary and a stepping stone by nature. Your ability to speak Spanish will only help you, and though you can't legally interpret while working as a scribe, definitely use your skills for other activities like mission trips.