medical spanish CDs?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

allylz

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
hello fellow students:

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good medical spanish CD that I could listen to in the car on the way back and forth to my away rotation (particularly one that comes with a book). At least 50% of the patients I am seeing are spanish-speaking and though most of them speak some degree of English, this just seems like a really critical skill to at least be on a reasonable level with.

thanks in advance.
:) Alison

Members don't see this ad.

allylz said:
hello fellow students:

I was wondering if anyone knows of a good medical spanish CD that I could listen to in the car on the way back and forth to my away rotation (particularly one that comes with a book). At least 50% of the patients I am seeing are spanish-speaking and though most of them speak some degree of English, this just seems like a really critical skill to at least be on a reasonable level with.

thanks in advance.
:) Alison

I would recommend going to your local Barnes & Nobles and pick up a Spanish CD set, or go to a large electronic store such as Best Buy. Do you have any previous experience with the Spanish language? If you don't, I don't know if listening to a CD will be any help. I don't know of any spanish language programs that are designed specifically for the medical field though.

I probably don't have as much formal training in Spanish as some other people, because I took French up through high school rather than Spanish, but I audited Spanish 100 in college and also took a few classes in medical Spanish in MSI year. That probably wouldn't make much of a difference for some people, since it seems that most people who took Spanish through high school don't really speak it too well, but I'm pretty good with languages and can pick stuff up pretty easily if I hear it being spoken in a conversational manner. I just want to get all the basic phrases down, and then I could carry a little dictionary with me if I needed to say certain medical terms.

Does anyone have any experience with Rosetta Stone? That is the big one I've heard plugged a lot lately but I haven't talked to anyone who's actually used it. I would prefer if there was a good one that was medically-oriented, but I wouldn't mind trying anything that works...