Medical Specialty Aptitude Test

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Sense

Sensible User
10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just did this test here http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/ where you answer 130 questions and it gives you a ranking of what specialty fits you the best. The number one ranked specialty that matched me the best was occupational medicine, which I don't know too much about.

What's interesting is that I want to go into family practice, but on the test it was ranked last at number 36 which I don't understand why. Do you think this test is accurate or is it more just for novelty purposes.

Members don't see this ad.

Rank Specialty Score
1 urology 39
2 general surgery 12
3 psychiatry 8
4 radiology 7
5 preventive med 5
6 thoracic surgery 4

I find this funny because I work with a urologist now and I don't have too much of a desire to be a urologist hehe

-Richie

Members don't see this ad :)
Sense said:
I just did this test here http://www.med-ed.virginia.edu/specialties/ where you answer 130 questions and it gives you a ranking of what specialty fits you the best. The number one ranked specialty that matched me the best was occupational medicine, which I don't know too much about.

What's interesting is that I want to go into family practice, but on the test it was ranked last at number 36 which I don't understand why. Do you think this test is accurate or is it more just for novelty purposes.

Novelty. Come on. How can a 130-question test that is subjectively answered identify what you want to do for a living? What, I ranked a 4/5 that "I like decisive answers," and that equals "you want to be a neurosurgeon"? Also, the fields that are ranked are all over the place. I think my top one was pathology ...followed by surgery or something. Finally, how well does the test stand up to repetition? Take it again and check the results.

(nicedream) said:
That test sucks. Here is an excellent one, which also has lots of awesome info about each specialty including surveys from physicians in each specialty.
http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/RESIDENT/CareerCounseling/main_menu.htm
I liked this test more. FP was ranked number one for me in that test while occupational medicine was ranked toward the bottom. Two different tests with two very different results...

One thing that seems consistent is that Psychiatry and PM&R were both ranked highly in both tests. Maybe that could mean something.

Sense said:
I liked this test more. FP was ranked number one for me in that test. Two different tests with two very different results...

One thing that seems consistent is that Psychiatry and PM&R were both ranked highly in both tests. Maybe that could mean something.

If you are taking a test and choosing which one you like more based on which one affirms what you want it to ...maybe you shouldn't be taking the tests? :laugh:

kinetic said:
If you are taking a test and choosing which one you like more based on which one affirms what you want it to ...maybe you shouldn't be taking the tests? :laugh:
Yea who knows about these tests. I guess their intention is to give you some idea of what specialty may fit you without being entirely accurate.

I took both tests a while back and found myself answering questions based on the specialty I would like to go into thereby biasing the outcome of the test. Interestingly enough EM was first on both tests. If you truly do not know what you would like to do and do not know much about the specialties except for the basic idea of what they are it could be good.

I give up on these tests. They keep telling me surgery which I know I hate because I was a surgical tech for awhile years ago. No surgery for me!!!!! :thumbdown:

If you know what specialty you want to get into you can tailor your answers to get what you want on these tests.

Amy B said:
I give up on these tests. They keep telling me surgery which I know I hate because I was a surgical tech for awhile years ago. No surgery for me!!!!! :thumbdown:

I'm with ya there, Amy! I was a labor & delivery tech for a *very short* time. The thing I hated most was going into those C-sections. I hate the whole atmosphere of the OR. And you know, I've got great dexterity--I'd probably be good at it if I didn't *hate* it! LOL

I took the test a few months ago...got a top-rated speciality of psychiatry! I can just imagine me as a shrink.. "You think you've got problems?? Let me tell you about *my* life!" The number 2 rank went to pathology.

I took it again...#1 was pathology and #2 was psychiatry. So apparently, my personality is best-suited to work with either crazy people or DEAD people. I wonder what it is about me??

Amy?? What's wrong with me?? LOL

WillowRose said:
So apparently, my personality is best-suited to work with either crazy people or DEAD people. I wonder what it is about me??

Amy?? What's wrong with me?? LOL

077.gif
1074.gif
671.gif
671.gif

Amy B said:
Heh. Five diff surgical subspecialties out of the top ten. :D

Members don't see this ad :)
1 radiology 41
2 gastroenterology 40
3 endocrinology 40
4 emergency med 39
5 preventive med 38
6 orthopaedic surgery 38
7 obstetrics/gynecology 37
8 anesthesiology 37
9 hematology 37
10 neurosurgery 37

:laugh: I always felt it was likely that I would go into PM&R given my background...
I have developed a strange fascination with rads though...
Gastro....too much poo for me.

1 general surgery 43
2 Urology 42
3 Thoracic surgery

I find this very funny since I know I want to do FP; thoracic surgery would be cool, but not for me. Anyway, interesting assessment

I figured proctology would be right up my ally!!! :D :D

That was a very interesting test. :rolleyes: Nuclear medicine was given as my specialty. Sort of eerie because my undergraduate major was physics and I always would say I wanted to do nuclear medicine research. HMMMMM :idea: The specialty that I was considering as my #1 was actually #10 on that list. :p

1. Derm 52
2. PM&R 55
3. Rad Onc 64
4. Allergy 64
5. Ophtho 65

My top choice actually is derm, and after that PM&R and ophtho. I like allergy too.

(nicedream) said:
1. Derm 52
2. PM&R 55
3. Rad Onc 64
4. Allergy 64
5. Ophtho 65

My top choice actually is derm, and after that PM&R and ophtho. I like allergy too.

your guys numbers are pretty high.... but the test worked out good for me... the top 10 are the 10 specialities i am most interested... except no EM

1. rad onc 20
2. derm 21
3. pm&r 24
4. optho 32
5. ENT 33
6. neurology 34
7. allergy and immuno 38
8. rheumotology 35
9. family practice 39
10. gastroent 40

(nicedream) said:
That test sucks. Here is an excellent one, which also has lots of awesome info about each specialty including surveys from physicians in each specialty.
http://www.smbs.buffalo.edu/RESIDENT/CareerCounseling/main_menu.htm

That was cool. Thanks for the link. It said I am most compatible with Emergency Medicine, and that's the field I'm interested in! I'm sure if the test didn't match me with Emergency Medicine I wouldn't like it as much! ;)

drchris33 said:
I figured proctology would be right up my ally!!! :D :D

Sorry...didn't quite get the joke here...got a couple possibilities running through my head...but don't want to mention them on a friendly forum! :confused:

yay I got matched with EM as #1

(I don't know about OBGYN as #2 though--that's kinda faulty)

That's ok, I know Chris, and I didn't get it either. Maybe it has something to do with Witchita, or Kansas in general... Chris?

DOitright said:
Sorry...didn't quite get the joke here...got a couple possibilities running through my head...but don't want to mention them on a friendly forum! :confused:

Hmmm...both tests put neurosurgery as my best match. I would never have considered it before--I wonder if this will affect my decision in the future.

I've done both of the test. I believe both are pretty much just recommendation and only fit for the first and last suggestion only. Both of these test put #1 thoracic surgery for me and put pediatrics lastly. But then again, just study whatever you love.

I've done both of the test. I believe both are pretty much just recommendation and only fit for the first and last suggestion only. Both of these test put #1 thoracic surgery for me and put pediatrics lastly. But then again, just study whatever you love.

Cool man! If the original posters of this thread are still alive and well, I'm sure they'd be glad to read your advice!

Reactions: 3 users