Medical Student (accepted)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sylvanthus

Attending
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Seriously guys, this makes you look like tools and the trend has gotta stop. I have yet to see a Resident (accepted), Attending (accepted).

Thoughts, flames?

/rant off

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 9 users
Ya lol it's pretty annoying... When did this actually start? I don't remember this being a THING a couple years ago...

Nope got nuthin' and don't care.

Probably going to take off my status if I do get into medical school.

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
What else should they call themselves? The are not really pre-med anymore. The are not yet med-students. They're happy they made it. Let them celebrate for a few months before they truly are med-students.

Reactions: 11 users
What else should they call themselves? The are not really pre-med anymore. The are not yet med-students. They're happy they made it. Let them celebrate for a few months before they truly are med-students.

Technically they ARE medical students the moment they get accepted. There isn't a transition period lol... Some schools start curriculum related material pretty soon after confirming your deposit.

Technically they ARE medical students the moment they get accepted. There isn't a transition period lol... Some schools start curriculum related material pretty soon after confirming your deposit.

No, they're not. They're not beginning their formal study of medicine until orientation starts. Many, if not most students have acceptances while still taking college classes. So, are they both college students and medical students?

Agree with OP. It looks toolish.

Reactions: 1 users
Until you are attending medical school, you are a premed. That's just how it is.

This whole "accepted" phenomenon is the whole reason I'm a forever Non-Student, because there's really only three statuses that matter around here: Mod, Verified Physician, and Military.

Reactions: 4 users
It doesn't annoy me that much, but I do think its weird.

Me: What are you doing right now?

Medical Student (Accepted): Oh, I'm a medical student
Me: Oh, cool me too. How is M1 treating you?
Medical Student (Accepted): Well...actually I haven't started yet, I have one more semester of college to go...
Me: :eyebrow:

I selected it because I knew it would trigger all the sdn neckbeards+pissed+

Reactions: 13 users

Im pretty sure the whole reason it started(from when i lurked) was because some med students and physicians felt that they shouldnt refer to themselves as med students. Personally I selected it as I am not taking classes at the moment so I dont consider myself premed and it seemed like the most accurate option.

Some people look like tools, but it's not the people who change their status to Accepted.

Reactions: 8 users

Medical Student (Accepted): Oh, I'm a medical student
Medical Student (Accepted): Well...actually I haven't started yet, I have one more semester of college to go...

Yeah... I am all for people being excited about their accomplishments, but you are not a medical student until your butt is in the seat during orientation. Just like I am not a resident until I actually start working at the hospital. Even though I already have a signed contract with my residency program, but you better believe I would be the dumbest person on the planet to go around telling people that I am currently a resident... No, I am an M4.

Reactions: 2 users
If you took off the Medical Student (Accepted) here is how the conversation would go instead:

Medical Student: Oh, I'm a medical student
Medical Student: Well...actually I haven't started yet, I have one more semester of college to go...

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
OP why do you care so much -- you not on call this week or somethin?

Yeah... I am all for people being excited about their accomplishments, but you are not a medical student until your butt is in the seat during orientation. Just like I am not a resident until I actually start working at the hospital. Even though I already have a signed contract with my residency program, but you better believe I would be the dumbest person on the planet to go around telling people that I am currently a resident... No, I am an M4.

~45% of US medical school applicants get accepted somewhere. ~97% of US medical school seniors get accepted to a residency. It's more significant both personally and socially to get over the hurdle of being accepted to med school than it is to match at a residency.

~45% of US medical school applicants get accepted somewhere. ~97% of US medical school seniors get accepted to a residency. It's more significant both personally and socially to get over the hurdle of being accepted to med school than it is to match at a residency.

And this refutes my point how? What I am saying is that it is foolish to use a title that you have yet to actually physically have. When you state that you are a medical student, lay people automatically assume that you have some level knowledge and expertise in an area that you don't. Best to just stay humble and not pretend.

I don't think it's a big deal.

How many of you pretentious hypocrites have your full name (plus "MS-x"), some joke of a title (i.e.: class secretary) and the school you attend [at the bottom of your SCHOOL email] as a signature?

Spare me.

Let the accepted have some fun.

Reactions: 5 users
I selected it because I knew it would trigger all the sdn neckbeards+pissed+
tipping-intensifies.gif

Reactions: 11 users

How many of you pretentious hypocrites have your full name (plus "MS-x"), some joke of a title (i.e.: class secretary) and the school you attend [at the bottom of your SCHOOL email] as a signature?

Spare me.

:rofl: Oh god, I see emails like that from my classmates all the time.

Bill S. Student, President EM Club, Student Secretary, AOA State Student Representative, Certified Juggler, M.S., D.D.S., BCLS, ACLS, NALS, PALS, Esq., OMS-II

Meanwhile I just sign my emails

-Jack

And this refutes my point how? What I am saying is that it is foolish to use a title that you have yet to actually physically have. When you state that you are a medical student, lay people automatically assume that you have some level knowledge and expertise in an area that you don't. Best to just stay humble and not pretend.

Because you made an invalid comparison. No one is saying "I'm a medical student!" They're identifying themselves as having been accepted to medical school on a medical school forum.

Seriously, people. Who cares. Getting into med school is a big deal. Let people enjoy it. It's also simply useful information in a forum setting.

Maybe SDN should just change the terminology from "Medical Student (Accepted)" to "Accepted to Medical School" so you people will quit whining about how it says "medical student."

Reactions: 15 users

Why the hell would anyone assume that when the title clearly distinguishes the user as just an accepted student? Am I to assume these people getting confused dont know how to read?

Spare me.

... I'm glad when people put their information as an email signature, because otherwise I have no idea who they are. Is this person a professor? An MD? a PA student? Admissions coordinator? Assistant? Med student?

What do you do? Guess? Look them up in the directory and hope there's some info there? Email them just to ask?

Reactions: 3 users
What would you rather I use??
Because you made an invalid comparison. No one is saying "I'm a medical student!" They're identifying themselves as having been accepted to medical school on a medical school forum.

Seriously, people. Who cares. Getting into med school is a big deal. Let people enjoy it. It's also simply useful information in a forum setting.

Maybe SDN should just change the terminology from "Medical Student (Accepted)" to "Accepted to Medical School" so you people will quit whining about how it says "medical student."

This exactly. A) It's accurate. B) Oh my lanta, who cares?? Who looks at a status someone picked from a drop down menu and thinks "wow what a tool?"

This exactly. A) It's accurate. B) Oh my lanta, who cares?? Who looks at a status someone picked from a drop down menu and thinks "wow what a tool?"

tools

... I'm glad when people put their information as an email signature, because otherwise I have no idea who they are. Is this person a professor? An MD? a PA student? Admissions coordinator? Assistant? Med student?

What do you do? Guess? Look them up in the directory and hope there's some info there? Email them just to ask?
It's fine to put a little thing about what positions you hold that are relevant to the email, that's a perfectly normal thing to do when sending professional emails back and forth. It's the people that don't understand that convention and just slap 97 things after their name to look important that are laughable- you should only put something that adds context to your email, because saying "Class President" in an email that goes out to the class for a class event that you organized as the class president is one thing, but saying, "Pediatric Club President, OMS-II, Student Secretary, etc, etc, etc" in an email about an intramural foosball tournament is just silly and does nothing but incite eye-rolls.

I like seeing the word "accepted" as it gives me the utmost confidence in their opinions.

In all seriousness it should probably say pre-med accepted.

It's not so much that I think anyone is a tool, but more that I think it's silly. You guys take it for granted, but it's a status that didn't exist in the past, so people who have been posters or lurkers for a while are just like :rolleyes:

Classic case of "I remember when X was good" I guess. When of course, X, in this case being SDN, was never good.

Why the hell would anyone assume that when the title clearly distinguishes the user as just an accepted student? Am I to assume these people getting confused dont know how to read?

Ah, sorry for the confusion. If you look at the two posts I quoted in my original response, the first one says that they technically are medical students and the other one was talking about when pre-meds who have been accepted to medical school tell people in a face-to-face conversation that they are medical students. My response was specifically to the posts that I quoted, and not to the OP.

It's not just to show off or for enjoyment, although that may be part of it.

Someone who has just been accepted to medical school is likely a good source of information for premeds. Even my advice is becoming somewhat obsolete and it's only been a few years. The tag is helpful to identify people who have succeeded in the process recently.

Sincerely,

GUH
OMS-III aka OMS-IV (nearly accepted)

I like seeing the word "accepted" as it gives me the utmost confidence in their opinions.

In all seriousness it should probably say pre-med accepted.

I agree that to be most accurate a pre-med (accepted) status makes the most sense. I would also argue that medical student (accepted) is a far better title than just premed in the context of this forum. Obviously people should not insinuate a higher level of education than they obtain in the context of face to face conversation. but in the context of SDN where the opinions and statements made be members need to be evaluated for their validity, the (accepted) status does lend increased credibility on subjects such as application process, MCAT prep, etc..

I enjoyed this thread lol

I'm excited to have reached this achievement so I'll be that tool but only for you.

let them be excited to be accepted into medical school. Quit being a fun sucker. Congrats to all the medical student [Accepted] peeps!

I couldn't find the "Medical Student [Accepted] [School Selected] [Deposit Paid]" option, so I just stuck with "Medical Student [Accepted]." lol

Last edited:
It's not so much that I think anyone is a tool, but more that I think it's silly. You guys take it for granted, but it's a status that didn't exist in the past, so people who have been posters or lurkers for a while are just like :rolleyes:

Classic case of "I remember when X was good" I guess. When of course, X, in this case being SDN, was never good.

+ 1

I just picked it since it's the closest. "Pre-med (accepted)" would probably be a better status.

This is....wrong. They are still pre med. That is like saying a high school senior who has been accepted to college is a college student. It is patently false and frankly displays a serious lapse in logic. I do not think the tag is a big deal but they are still pre med.

This is....wrong. They are still pre med. That is like saying a high school senior who has been accepted to college is a college student. It is patently false and frankly displays a serious lapse in logic. I do not think the tag is a big deal but they are still pre med.
Well, obviously the powers that be on SDN think otherwise...or it would not be a choice from the drop down menu.

Well, obviously the powers that be on SDN think otherwise...or it would not be a choice from the drop down menu.
Again.... You're an idiot. "Medical Student (Accepted)" is a sub category of pre med. It's different from pre med as in the user has been accepted. But it is not mutually exclusive. Please stop.

How do people have the time, or energy, to give a crap about this stuff?

Reactions: 14 users
I know several medical students who sign their emails with "M.D. Candidate" which I find way more toolish than this.

I don't really care about whether people identify as med students between acceptance and matriculation. There is, however, a pattern I have noticed involving these people starting threads pontificating to third and fourth year med students about what medical school needs to do differently. I do find that bothersome.

I know several medical students who sign their emails with "M.D. Candidate" which I find way more toolish than this.

I don't really care about whether people identify as med students between acceptance and matriculation. There is, however, a pattern I have noticed involving these people starting threads pontificating to third and fourth year med students about what medical school needs to do differently. I do find that bothersome.
MD candidate lawl

Clearly everyone here understands what the "medical student (accepted)" status means - a student who is accepted to medical school. We understand that they are not yet a matriculated medical student, but barring some event that rescinds their acceptance, they will be a medical student in a few months. In the past, members would change their status to "medical student" as soon as they got accepted, which led to confusion. Thus, the creation of a new status.

I'm sorry that this status bothers some people, but it has also reduced a lot of confusion. Less confusion >>> a few people being annoyed about something pretty insignificant.

And with that, this thread is now closed.

Signed,
Resident (Accepted) :p :p :p

Reactions: 31 users
Status
Not open for further replies.