Medical Student Elective at AIIMS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

slsm00

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone! :)

I am considering a medical elective in AIIMS (cardiology, neurology, rural posting), which I understand to be the most prestigious institution in India. I was wondering if it's a good idea, and it would be awesome if someone could tell me more about how an elective student would be treated at the institution.

I am just a little worried about the recent doctor strikes and the safety of the institution. Most of the information on the search engines are a little dated...

Thanks!!! :) :)

Members don't see this ad.

It doesn't get any bigger and better than AIIMS. If you have an opportunity to work there and "rough it out" for a few months. Go for it. I am not sure of what you plan on achieving through this, is it for "international health care exposure ?"
In any case, AIIMS is the Mecca of medical procedures and cases from all over the country are referred there.

Bear in mind though, that it IS a Govt. run institution and hence the work load is immense. Depending on the department, you could be looking at working many many hours a day. So consider that for sure. As for strikes and security issues you talk of, well, they aren't really issues. A strike in AIIMS happens like twice a year or something, usually over a very serious matter. It is in no way, the norm. More so that given the length of an elective, you may not be there for more than 1-2 months. As for safety, AIIMS is in the heart of the capital. Take the routine precautions and you'll be alright.

Hope this helps.