Medical student on welfare

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

coffeesnob81

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Has anyone here been on welfare while in med school or know of anyone who has?

I was curious what the benefits are. I am trying to cut down on the amount of loans I have to take.

Thanks!
 
In my state (nj) you need to work 20 hrs a week to qualify if you are a college student. I suspect this is common or else all college students would be on welfare. However, I did qualify for assistance with utility bills.
 
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
Not to derail the thread, but it makes me laugh to see a Ron Paul supporter accept welfare.

How come? Befor med school I had a job and paid into the universal funds to help needy people pay, during med school I was the one in need, and I will spend the rest of my life paying for other people. Not every republican is rich...
 
How come? Befor med school I had a job and paid into the universal funds to help needy people pay, during med school I was the one in need, and I will spend the rest of my life paying for other people. Not every republican is rich...

Technically speaking, you are only in need because you choose not to work. I don't think the rest of us should have to pay for every person who decides that working isn't what they want to do (also don't think we should have to pay for every person who decides that having a kid they can't afford is a great idea, but that is a different argument).

On the other hand, I guess it is human nature to want to get any kind of free money you qualify for.
 
Has anyone here been on welfare while in med school or know of anyone who has?

I was curious what the benefits are. I am trying to cut down on the amount of loans I have to take.

Thanks!

The most benefits (food stamps, cash assistance, health insurance) kick in once you have wife and children and have a low income.
 
How come? Befor med school I had a job and paid into the universal funds to help needy people pay, during med school I was the one in need, and I will spend the rest of my life paying for other people. Not every republican is rich...

If you really are a Ron Paul supporter, you should know that he thinks federally-based welfare goes beyond what the constitution allows. That's why it seems funny for a Ron Paul supporter to justify his/her tenure on welfare. I believe Ron Paul also thinks that subsidies of any sort, even temporary, lead to more risky behavior, which has bad outcomes.