1. The SDN iPhone App is back and free through November! Get it today and please post a review on the App Store!
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dismiss Notice

medical student - publishing

Discussion in 'Student Research and Publishing' started by ohyesbaby, Mar 6, 2007.

1. ohyesbaby

Hi, I am new to this. I am just wondering - how is it possible that a medical student can publish articles on scientific journals?

If you join a research group for the summer, is it likely that you can publish under your name with the principal researchers???

What opportunities are there????

Many thanks!

2. Note: SDN Members do not see this ad.

3. Circumflex

Circumflex Junior Member
    10+ Year Member

Attending Physician
    It is not easy to get a first-author publication in basic science research as a med student. This is because you have very little extra time. The only block of time most people have is 2 months between 1st and 2nd year. However, if you worked in a lab in the Summer and somehow found other time to work (weekends), it is possible to write a paper using a well-defined project. It is much easier to do some summer work and get your name on a paper, which still looks good.

As for clinical work, many clinicians have small projects using chart reviews that you can write up as the first author. You can also write a case report on an interesting patient. Many physicians have a few of these lying around.

It all depends on what you want. If you think you might be interested in basic research, then do a summer rotation.

4. ohyesbaby

Hi - thanks for the reply.

During the summer I have absolutely no work - i'm free for a few months. That's because in the UK, a few med schools still have the pre-clinical and clinical divide. And right now I'm still doing pre-clinical.

So I won't have to work at all during summer

So chart reviews - do they get published in journals too? How would I get my hands on them??

Are there other opportunities to publish in journals??