medical student rotations?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

cyoussef03

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am looking for the opportunity to complete a four week medical rotation in a hospital near Monash University in Victoria. I would be a visiting (from US) student....is this even a possibility? Has anyone ever done this? Please let me know1

Members don't see this ad.

The teaching hospitals of Monash U are Alfred Hospital and Monash Medical Centre.

My electives handbook recommends Alfred Hospital and says it is 'one of the big teaching hospitals in Melbourne, 10 mins bus ride from the city centre and 15 min walk away from St Kilda beach'. For Monash Medical Centre, it says that 'it can be a bit quiet'.

There is no e-mail address given, so I'd find the Monash U Faculty of Medicine website and e-mail the admin staff, who will hopefully forward your message to the appropriate people.

I've seen a few North American students doing electives at my hospital (in Sydney), and from my understanding most teaching hospitals in Australia are keen to have overseas students for electives. They do charge, but nowhere near what the well-known US hospitals charge for overseas electives.

Good luck

I've seen a few North American students doing electives at my hospital (in Sydney), and from my understanding most teaching hospitals in Australia are keen to have overseas students for electives. They do charge, but nowhere near what the well-known US hospitals charge for overseas electives.

A gross generaliztion re: cost.

The Cleveland Clinic, a well-known medical center in the US, does not charge.

RPA charges $A500 for 4 weeks and Concord charges $650 for 4 weeks.

The Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York charges $300 US per elective... this can be 8 weeks or longer.

The more expensive Universities in the US tend to be the academic institutions which don't necessarily have the reputation for being the best medical centers. Their fees are reasonable considering the amount US students pay for their degrees at those institutions. They are set at a rate similar to what you would pay for a whole year there as a local student.

All Australian teaching hospitals offer medical electives to overseas students.
It's hard finding where to apply for some of them though.

I am not familiar with Monash but I do know that Melbourne charges $450 for overseas students... my German friend said they charged $450 a week - I have yet to confirm that.

http://www.paediatrics.unimelb.edu.au/visit/index.html
Has info if you want to do paeds - $400 for a month.

Ms Dianne Kennedy
medicine-info [ at ] unimelb.edu.au
if you want infor for the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

For Monash,
Just e-mail the Undergrad office at Monash and they'll help you out
[email protected]

Or contact the Monash University Medical Undergraduate Society: mumus [ at ] med.monash.edu.au

Someone is bound to help you out.

However, in general, good University hospitals in the States that don't charge a lot almost always require Step 1 score. Mt Sinai is a notable exception.

Harvard charges $3000
Duke charges $2000
Yale charges around $2000

Cleveland Clinic, Mayo, etc. require Step 1 scores but they are excellent institutions.

A gross generaliztion re: cost.

The Cleveland Clinic, a well-known medical center in the US, does not charge.

RPA charges $A500 for 4 weeks and Concord charges $650 for 4 weeks.

The Mount Sinai Medical Center in New York charges $300 US per elective... this can be 8 weeks or longer.

The more expensive Universities in the US tend to be the academic institutions which don't necessarily have the reputation for being the best medical centers. Their fees are reasonable considering the amount US students pay for their degrees at those institutions. They are set at a rate similar to what you would pay for a whole year there as a local student.

All Australian teaching hospitals offer medical electives to overseas students.
It's hard finding where to apply for some of them though.

I am not familiar with Monash but I do know that Melbourne charges $450 for overseas students... my German friend said they charged $450 a week - I have yet to confirm that.

http://www.paediatrics.unimelb.edu.au/visit/index.html
Has info if you want to do paeds - $400 for a month.

Ms Dianne Kennedy
medicine-info [ at ] unimelb.edu.au
if you want infor for the Royal Melbourne Hospital.

For Monash,
Just e-mail the Undergrad office at Monash and they'll help you out
[email protected]

Or contact the Monash University Medical Undergraduate Society: mumus [ at ] med.monash.edu.au

Someone is bound to help you out.