Medical student told me adcoms weigh junior year grades the heaviest, advice?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

luke587

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
So I completed sophomore year this past spring and it went okay, not the greatest but it wasn't horrible either. Anyways I have a friend who is in his first year of medical school and told me adcoms weigh junior year grades the most heavily and freshman year grades the least. Any words of wisdom for anyone who has completed their junior year, and is this true? Basically he told me medical schools want to see that you have your stuff together by now, and they can look past some blemishes your first couple semesters. I'm finishing the last of my pre-reqs this fall, and now I'm a little nervous after hearing that even though I knew medical schools look at all your grades I feel a lot of pressure all of a sudden. Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

Although not written on paper, but most likely that is true. Upper level classes are generally more difficult and thus could be weighted more when considering your application. But of course your freshman/sophomore still play a role.

Last edited:
This is probably true for most medical schools. University of Washington explicitly states they give freshman grades a weight of 1, sophomore grades a weight of 2, and junior grades a weight of 3. They do not say how they evaluate senior grades when available, but the point stands. Junior year gets the most weight.

Members don't see this ad :)
If you think about it, it makes sense. It's basically what you already said: med schools are seeing if you have your ducks in a row at this point in your academic career. The numbers from your junior year will be the most recent representation of your academic abilities.

This was something I didn't know. Makes a lot of sense though. Your more recent semesters show your ability to master more difficult (typically the case) courses. It also reflects your maturity more closely to matriculation.

Kudos, cowboy.

This is probably true for most medical schools. University of Washington explicitly states they give freshman grades a weight of 1, sophomore grades a weight of 2, and junior grades a weight of 3. They do not say how they evaluate senior grades when available, but the point stands. Junior year gets the most weight.

I would have expected informal emphases to be placed on the different years, not explicit weights as you've described. That's oddly rigid, if you ask me.

I would have expected informal emphases to be placed on the different years, not explicit weights as you've described. That's oddly rigid, if you ask me.

When a school gets 7,500 applications (I don't know the average overall, but wouldn't be surprised) you need a 'rigid' way to compare applicants until you have a smaller pool.

Using a multiplier such as a 1/2/3 scale for F/S/J year would be an easy way to do that, and could be done automatically by the admissions computers.

For example:

Freshman weight is 1/6

Sophomore weight is 1/3

Junior weight is 1/2

Let's assume two applicants with the same GPA (3.0).
If one got a 2.0, 3.0, then 4.0, the weighted GPA would be 3.333
Now, if another got a 4.0, 3.0, 2.0, the weighted GPA would be 2.667

The applicant with an uphill trend clearly has an advantage, as most schools desire.

It's just an easy, effective way to do it. However, I think most schools just have a way to graph out the GPA and see the visual trend, and don't put such large emphasis on year-to-year changes as this scale does.

This method falls apart for applicants whose senior year grades show and applicants who took only the prerequisites during their freshman and sophomore years. I doubt that schools put too much weight on it.

I hate to be this poster to post grades, but does my trend look promising?

F(3.12,3.12) S(3.04, 2.70) J(3.28,3.80) S(3.775, 3.85)

The 2.70 was with taking three extremely difficult classes, and I since retook it. AACOMAS would probably make the 2.7 a 3.0 for that year. AMCAS, not too sure.

This method falls apart for applicants whose senior year grades show and applicants who took only the prerequisites during their freshman and sophomore years. I doubt that schools put too much weight on it.

Like I alluded to, this probably isn't very common. Checking for trends may be, but actually reweighting GPAs is probably not.

I hate to be this poster to post grades, but does my trend look promising?

F(3.12,3.12) S(3.04, 2.70) J(3.28,3.80) S(3.775, 3.85)

The 2.70 was with taking three extremely difficult classes, and I since retook it. AACOMAS would probably make the 2.7 a 3.0 for that year. AMCAS, not too sure.

What is your cGPA/sGPA? Should not interpret the OPs statement as a blanket for all medical schools. Your best bet is still likely finding your LizzyM score and comparing it to other school's average LizzyM scores.

Members don't see this ad :)
What is your cGPA/sGPA? Should not interpret the OPs statement as a blanket for all medical schools. Your best bet is still likely finding your LizzyM score and comparing it to other school's average LizzyM scores.

cGPA is a 3.31 AMCAS, and a little higher for TMDSAS and AACOMAS. Science GPA is terrible, probably a 3.15 :( I'm currently in an SMP that I hope helps sway adcoms. I'll dig up the LizzyM scoring system, thanks.

So I completed sophomore year this past spring and it went okay, not the greatest but it wasn't horrible either. Anyways I have a friend who is in his first year of medical school and told me adcoms weigh junior year grades the most heavily and freshman year grades the least. Any words of wisdom for anyone who has completed their junior year, and is this true? Basically he told me medical schools want to see that you have your stuff together by now, and they can look past some blemishes your first couple semesters. I'm finishing the last of my pre-reqs this fall, and now I'm a little nervous after hearing that even though I knew medical schools look at all your grades I feel a lot of pressure all of a sudden. Thanks!

If this is true this will help me out quite a bit...

Just continue to do well and you will be fine. While upper level sciences may be more challenging, you as a student (theoretically) have advanced as well to reach that point in your academic career.

A general question: If you suffer a GPA slip during junior or senior year, does that mean you are screwed?

A general question: If you suffer a GPA slip during junior or senior year, does that mean you are screwed?

It depends where you were the previous year. For those with gpa >3.85, a 0.2 slip might be understandable. If the gpa is <3.5, no slip is good.

Most often, I see a slip in gpa in the year the o-chem sequence is taken (usually sophomore year) which yields a J shaped curve in gpa.

Your senior year gpa shouldn't be a red flag IF you are admitted during that year and you manage to keep all of your grades at B or better. If you aren't admitted during senior year, the general rule above applies.

It depends where you were the previous year. For those with gpa >3.85, a 0.2 slip might be understandable. If the gpa is <3.5, no slip is good.

Most often, I see a slip in gpa in the year the o-chem sequence is taken (usually sophomore year) which yields a J shaped curve in gpa.

Your senior year gpa shouldn't be a red flag IF you are admitted during that year and you manage to keep all of your grades at B or better. If you aren't admitted during senior year, the general rule above applies.

Would good grades in organic taken later on, say in a postbac, compensate for a subpar undergrad maybe 6-7 years prior?

I applied with a 4.00 and my final two semesters were an average of 3.5. No one said anything - but I was already accepted. If there's a reasonable chance you won't get accepted that cycle and/or you're not applying during your senior year, senior grades absolutely are considered.

Yes this is absolutely true, our pre-Med advisor had advised that adcoms look for that "Nike trend" (the nike symbol - in terms of your grades).

But this is always good to look back at

Would good grades in organic taken later on, say in a postbac, compensate for a subpar undergrad maybe 6-7 years prior?

Non-trads who did not take pre-med courses in college are a different ball of wax. It is possible that some of them are overlooked/screened out due to very low undergrad gpa despite good postbac work.

Thanks. I have a pretty good GPA so far, >3.9 and I have 2 more semesters to go--I decided late in my undergrad that I wanted to do medicine. It sucks to have been doing great during 3+ years and a simple slip could hurt my chances pretty bad.

I applied with a 4.00 and my final two semesters were an average of 3.5. No one said anything - but I was already accepted. If there's a reasonable chance you won't get accepted that cycle and/or you're not applying during your senior year, senior grades absolutely are considered.

Thanks NickNaylor, Unfortunately for me, I wont be applying until I graduate next year which I guess puts a lot of pressure on me to not drop the ball in my last two semesters.

Last edited: