Medical students who are knowledgeable about business/supply chain management! Please help me!

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Reaction score
Hello all,

I'm an MS2 who is involved in my school's healthcare business club.

My BS is in business. During my Operations Management course in undergrad, we did the Beer game (if you know what this means, please keep reading!).

I really want to put on an event for my school where we do the Beer game but adapted for the healthcare industry. I think it would be an awesome exercise in Systems thinking.

HOWEVER, I'm having trouble adapting it to become completely healthcare-related.

Does anyone have any ideas for how to replace the main players (Retailer - Wholesaler - Distributor - Factory) with players in healthcare, and maybe some ideas for how to improve the rules/dynamics?

One of my ideas is to replace cases of beer with hospital beds. It's harder than I thought though to make a game from scratch that makes sense. Any and all ideas are appreciated!

BTW, I know there's already something like this that exists (called Friday Night at the ER), but 1) it's really hard to find their exact rules or buy a second-hand board (they protect their IP really well), and 2) I really don't wanna be sued for Copyright infringement (if I did manage to figure out their rules and recreate them)

Members don't see this ad.

Might wanna post this in the MD and DO forums rather than the Premed forum.

Uhhh, it's super hard to do that with hospitals. Hospital supply chains are obviously complex. You should really focus on one specific thing. For example, you could focus on formulary meds. There is a clear manufacturer and wholesaler there. You could also focus on PPE.

Reactions: 1 user