Medical Technologist to PT?

Started by TehWhite
This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Get help with your application

Use all the free resources available to you from SDN: articles, guides, expert advising, forums discussions, and school research.

TehWhite

New Member
10+ Year Member
Advertisement - Members don't see this ad
So I have been lurking the forums for the past few days and decided to finally make an account. I have a strong interest in PT but not sure what to do as my undergrad. I was going to go with movement science but it seems that its not the best for job security just in case grad school doesn't work out. I was looking up majors and came across Medical Technologist. Would that be a much more secure undergrad vs Movement Science. Would I have a disadvantage in grad vs people who study kinesiology etc? I apologize if someone has asked this before. I searched MT and didn't find anything.
 
Yeah, pretty secure due to the fact you take your ASCP certification at the end, though job availability may depend on what part of the country you live in.

I'm working as a med tech right now and am starting PT in the summer. Working in a lab is actually the reason for the switch, I wanted to work with actual patients, not just their specimens! You should be able to finish most pre reqs with the pre reqs for your MT program. Good luck.
 
Yeah, pretty secure due to the fact you take your ASCP certification at the end, though job availability may depend on what part of the country you live in.

I'm working as a med tech right now and am starting PT in the summer. Working in a lab is actually the reason for the switch, I wanted to work with actual patients, not just their specimens! You should be able to finish most pre reqs with the pre reqs for your MT program. Good luck.

I live in NYC hopefully that's an advantage. Thank You.
 
What undergrad degree you do doesn't make a dang bit of difference as far as getting into PT school as long as all the pre-reqs have been met, as far as I can tell. A year of anatomy/physiology, a year of physics, a year of chemistry, a year of psychology, a year of biology, an upper level biology class or two (such as cell biology, developmental biology, immunology, genetics, etc., etc.), a year of english comp (which will be required by every university as a GE requirement anyway), a semester of statistics and a semester of mathematics (perhaps calculus) will cover your bases at the majority of schools. Most will require some combination of these but not necessarily all of them. Probably 30-40% of the schools I've looked at require an exercise science class, and a few require something random like nutrition or economics, but not many.

If medical technologist is an effective degree for meeting pre-reqs, then I would take it. A lot of people have kinesiology/exercise science degrees but you will do fine in PT school if you don't, PT school is there to teach you what you need to know to be a PT. A guy I know in PT school told me he thought his biology degree was the best undergrad degree there was for preparing you for the firehose of information you get hit with the first year in PT school. You need to enter grad school with a solid knowledge of the basic sciences, not with the knowledge of how to do physical therapy.